Australian Sport Is Dying - Comments

  • WhatAboutElmo?

    WhatAboutElmo? (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    25
    Location:
    United States
    Oh, and GREAT article!
    June 8th, 2012 at 03:50am
  • WhatAboutElmo?

    WhatAboutElmo? (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    25
    Location:
    United States
    I'm not Australian. Half of the article, I didn't know what you were talking about. But, I know where you're coming from. I feel the same way. People shouldn't be looking up to famous people as role models all the time. If athletes want to have fun, they should, whether it's drinking or having sex! Isn't that a part of life? Besides, why does the entire continent need to know if an athlete had one too many to drink, took a pill, or engaged in intimate activity? It's not their business! The main thing you should be focusing on an athlete is that they're actually in the big league, and if you want to be like them someday (sport-playing wise), then focus only on their sport and how they play. Their personal life is none of the press's business, and certainly is not YOUR business. Now, I'm not pin-pointing at anybody, I'm simply agreeing 100% with the writer of this article, although it may sound like I'm not. Sure, you can know if they have a baby or some type of life-threatening disease, but what they do every moment in the day is not what you should be concerned about. How would you feel (yes, I'm playing the classic step-into-another-person's-shoe card) if your every movement what photographed, plastered all over the Internet and on magazines? Athletes should be known for how well they play the sport, now what they do in their free time.
    It's called FREE time for a reason. God.
    June 8th, 2012 at 03:50am
  • CC;

    CC; (205)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Australia
    NRL and NFL is a waste of space. And, well... the hotel incident was pretty f*cking funny, and I'll say now that the Salary Cap incident deserved all the media coverage it got.

    Cricket? Yes, the failures should be reported but in all honesty, I don't think anyone aside from one girl I went to school with cares about Michael Clarke's relationship status.

    AFL? Brendan Fevola. Enough said.

    Children always have heroes and in modern day Australia, more often then not, athletes are going to be those heroes, so yes, they should be promoting good ethics and behaviour and teaching kids good values. They're in the public eye and have to watch what they do.

    Granted, some of the things that happen wouldn't be covered by the media if they were anyone else - for example, when Nathan Bock slapped his girlfriend, twice. But, he was a high profile person and with that comes the media. Should've watched himself at the end of the day.

    They know what they sign up for.
    January 25th, 2011 at 02:26pm
  • ThePiesEndure

    ThePiesEndure (115)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    38
    Location:
    Australia
    Hear Hear! I believe the media blow things out of proportion and stick their noses where they don't belong. Honestly it's a career a profession. Yes, they're in centre stage so they should try and not get into situations that cause them to get into trouble, but that should be the case for anyone in any profession.

    Sport is to be enjoyed, let's please not ruin it.

    Thank you for this article.

    And i agree, Australia without Cricket, AFL or NRL would be...not Australia...
    October 31st, 2010 at 02:03pm