Cesc Fabregas' Barcelona Future

It's been on the cards for quite some time now, but is this the season when Francesc Fabregas finally makes the long awaited move to the Nou Camp? Rumors fly back and forth between the British and Spanish media almost daily surrounding the Arsenal captains future at the Emirates.

Two bids have already been made for the Spanish international by FC Barcelona; one at £27 million and the other for £31 million. Arsenal manager, Arsene Wenger, has already expressed is mission to keep hold of the midfielder, continuously saying that Fabregas is a key player in the Arsenal squad. Some football fans believe that if Wenger got £30+ million for Febregas, he would have to spend it, though that isn't in his nature to do so.

The speculation all started during the 2010 World Cup, which saw two Barcelona players put a Barcelona strip on Febregas. Of coarse Febregas had already worn the shirt, as a young child he had been apart of Barcelona's youth academy. It was there he shared the pitch with defender Gerard Pique and Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi. Clearly he knows the Barcelona way of playing, and clearly his presence would be welcome in the Barcelona squad.

Fellow Spanish midfielder Xavi has spoken highly of the young midfielder, calling him a 'fantastic player with a lot of talent.' Messi too has expressed his delight on the prospect of Fabregas joining Barcelona: “I would love to play with Cesc, because we have shared many things together in time, we agree on the fundamentals of Barca football.” Come on, if Messi wants Fabregas, surly every body else who bleeds red and blue would want him as well?

That being said, some members of the game have expressed concern in the need for the midfielder. Let's face it, you can't really fault the Barcelona midfield, at all. With Andres Iniesta and Xavi practically knowing where the other is for the majority of the game, it would seem like blasphemy to break up such a pair.

A spot in the Barcelona midfield is almost as ruthless as the whole, Messi v Ronaldo debate. As it stands, Xavi would be the player making way for Fabregas. You can do a lot of things to Barcelona, but replacing Xavi isn’t one of them. “Xavi can do little but hold onto the ball. Yes he keeps possession, but his ability to defend and create counter attacks his very limited.” First off, when your winning one - nil with five minutes to go, the key thing is to hold the ball. Barcelona don't attack like Vikings, they hold possession, it's part of what makes Barcelona football so beautiful.

Saying Xavi could be replaced by Fabregas is one thing, but saying Fabregas is better is a whole different thing. One football fan, who is either a Arsenal super fan or a bitter Manchester United fan said this about Fabregas: “The kid can mark, dictate the pace of play, deliver killer through balls, take eleven opponents out with a shimmy. He's a leader, he'd got loads of finesse, he'd 23, he's Cesc Fabregas.” So far understandable. And Xavi? “I've said it before and I'll say it again – Xavi is overrated. The guy's not half as good as everyone thinks he is.”

I'm not expert, I don't have a degree on how good player are but there is one small thing that bugs me about that statement. Barcelona have the best team in the world at the moment, we can all agree on that, thus, Xavi is one of the best players in the world. No need to pull out the 'Club and Country' excuse, the man won the World Cup. Point invalid. Yes, Cesc done the same, and yes he is a very good player. But, apart from the English, who believes that the EPL is the best league in the world. Maybe the most competitive, but not the best. If Fabregas can go out and break past the Zaragoza defence and put a ball through to Messi, I'll be very surprised.

No need for him. Arsenal need him. It's a tricky decision for the Spaniard; to stay where he is an established player and captain, or go to his boyhood team and play along with the best players in the world. Quite frankly the signs are mixed from Febregas. One day it's been what he'd been waiting for his whole life, the other he doesn't want to disrespect Arsenal fans by saying he wants to leave. Take a leaf out of fellow Spaniard Fernando Torres's book, move if it's time and you want to win.

So, if he stays maybe it won't be the same. Fans might not like all of this, they might want nothing to do with him after making hints about not wanting to be there any more. On the other hand, maybe not. There could be ripples of delight if the captain stays with The Gunners, and they might have just gotten over the hardest hurdle in their race for some silverware.

If the deal is done and Fabregas goes to Barcelona, it will end up one of two ways. The first would the dream. Keeping Xavi out the squad, assisting Messi every time they make a break and starting the same partnership that Iniesta and Xavi. On the other hand, it could go down the toilet for the young star. Sitting on the bench like former Barcelona forward, now Roma player Bojan Krkic. Which just backs up Xavi really, young talent like Bojan couldn't falter Messi, so Fabregas may have little to no impact on Xavi's starting eleven chance.

Which ever side you are on, and most Spaniards too, you want young Cesc to do well. I'm sure no Arsenal fans would be too bitter towards Fabregas, though, if his decision to move goes wrong, lets hope the opposition doesn't start the horrid chant of, 'Are you Kaka in disguise?'

Latest articles