Sharks vs. Blues, 4/16/12

Even with two goals scored in the last five minutes of the game, it simply wasn’t enough for the Sharks to overcome the St. Louis Blues at HP Pavilion on Monday night.

Though the Sharks had many shots on goal and great scoring chances, the men in teal had consistent trouble getting the puck past Blues goaltender Brian Elliot.

Too many penalties were drawn in favor of the Blues, and three of the four power plays generated three of the four goals Monday evening for the Blues.

The Sharks woes began when McDonald scored the first goal of the night halfway through the first period, but then came the Sharks first glimmer of hope – Brent Burns. A few minutes later, the defenseman knocked the puck behind Elliot on a pass from Joe Thornton.

The Sharks fell apart in the second period. Passes were sloppy, unnecessary penalties were drawn, and too many turnovers were made.

The Sharks went into the third period down 3 – 1, and as the Blues scored yet another power play goal, tempers rose to extremes.

Distraught fans began to exit the tank with seven minutes left in the game. The Blues seemed to have complete control of the Sharks, and they seemed to flop around like fish out of water.

But, as they say, it ain’t over ’till it’s over.

Colin White, with his first goal of the playoffs, lit a fire and scored with three minutes left in the game. It sparked energy in the team, apparently enough to fight off a Thornton penalty and to have Couture score his first playoff goal with eighteen seconds left.

In the end, it simply wasn’t enough for the Sharks.

Niemi was pulled from the net as the Sharks attempted to tie the game up in the last few seconds, but the Blues, with the best defense in the National Hockey League, simply played better.

The Blues held the Sharks to a final score of 4-3. Game four of the playoffs will be held at HP Pavilion in San Jose, on Thursday at 7:30.

Latest articles