Thomas Talks...Again - Comments

  • If you didn't mean for it to sound like you were criticizing him for his opinion, I would suggest you go back and edit this because that's how it reads. Just my two cents(:
    Every famous person has some opinion and to be honest, none of them really bother me. The fact that people get into such debates over these topics astounds me. If I like something/someone I'm not going to stop supporting it/them for their opinion.
    This article was very well written. The quote from his teammate (Or ex-teammate, I don't really follow sports) is missing a quotation mark at the end. (Sorry, pet peeve...) :)
    August 3rd, 2012 at 04:52am
  • Yes, everyone has a right to their own opinion. However, it's a very controversial topic. If Tim is going to whine about backlash he's getting, it's his own fault. If I'm not mistaken, freedom of speech says you can say what you want, but if it is going to be hateful just know you are the one responsible for it. You should know that there is just some things you DON'T talk about unless you KNOW it's okay. Whether you're famous or not, or if it's your right or not. It's called human decency and truthfully the world is lacking it.
    By saying it's your right to speak your mind, doesn't give you the go ahead to be a butthead for the public to see. It's not a 'get out of jail free' card, everything has limits. I may be wrong but I believe there are limitations for freedom of speech, determined by law or whatever it shouldn't matter. Nevertheless, one of the main ones is the "harm principle". Meaning you are free to do what every the heck you want as long as it doesn't involve harm of others. Whether it be physical or mental.
    I don't know if that is entirely true because the whole Charter of Rights and Freedoms, or whatever it is, confuses me. But like mommy always says, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't bother saying it.
    July 31st, 2012 at 11:02am
  • I feel like if he feels like he can't tolerate gay team mates or gay NHL players all together, then I hope GMs feel like they can't tolerate him as a part of their team. I think he's a jerk, he has proved it on three occasions in one year.
    July 31st, 2012 at 08:26am
  • I agree with Audrey here. Took the words from my mouth, actually.
    July 30th, 2012 at 10:32pm
  • I'm actually not quite sure what the problem is. Sure, it would be nice if everyone in the world would support gay marriage but the truth of the matter is, they don't. Frankly, they don't have to. There is no rule stating everyone has to be in agreement with homosexuality. How is him posting his opinion on facebook any different from someone like me taking a stand against Chick-Fil-A? Other than that, this was written incredibly well, it was an interesting piece.
    July 29th, 2012 at 11:54pm
  • It's his own opinion, and whether other NHL players are for/against it, he has the freedom to say what he pleases. We may not agree, but if he has the strength to feel confident enough to post such things, then he knows that there will be both sides of an argument about it and should face such retaliation openly.

    It's basically you knowing that what you are getting ready to post is controversial, but you do it anyways, because that's how you feel. All there is to it.
    July 29th, 2012 at 03:50am
  • @Painted Smiles read the comment posted prior to your comment. It will explain.
    July 28th, 2012 at 08:02pm
  • I honestly think you're being hypocritical in this article. Just because he doesn't share the same opinion as you doesn't mean he should just shut up and get out of the game or whatever.

    It's his opinion and I don't agree with him but I am defending him because people who think the same way as you are making him look like a complete and utter asshole, which he is, but he has his opinions and you have yours. Just because he's famous doesn't mean he should be criticized as hard as he is.

    Why don't people make articles and journals about kids who bully in school? Why don't people talk about the non-famous homophobes who do much worst than this Thomas guy did? Talk about them for a change and open minded about it.
    July 28th, 2012 at 07:58pm
  • The issue is more or less surrounding the fact that he doesn't like the backlash he gets from his posts more so the fact that he is stating an opinion, as we all know everyone is entitled to one. My point is if you don't like the criticism or controversy then why are you making such a big deal to go public with a statement that is already a VERY touchy subject. I realize that the wording of this article makes it sound like I'm criticizing him for having an opinion but that wasn't meant to be the case.
    July 28th, 2012 at 04:14pm
  • I don't like how you made this sound like just because this guy is famous he doesn't have the right to share his opinions with the world if it's a controversial topic. Whether or not we agree with him, he has every right to say what he wants about anything, it's his right. If you wanna criticize his comment then go ahead, but he was every right to post that.

    In fact, I bet if he said he was in favor of gay marriage this wouldn't have been such a big issue, the only reason it was is because he shares the unpopular opinion
    July 28th, 2012 at 03:14pm
  • Everyone has a right to express their feelings. Just because you don't agree with them doesn't mean they are wrong. You're basically being a hypocrite.
    July 28th, 2012 at 08:18am
  • Going to agree with the fact that Thomas has every right to say what he wants and express his views as he pleases. Although, I highly believe that some things are better left unsaid.

    Fame comes with criticism.
    July 28th, 2012 at 06:40am
  • Although he does have his right to his opinion, I think that some things are better left unsaid. He should expect whatever consequences he receives for the blunt publicity of his views.

    Yes, I agree that maybe less buzz about his Facebook statements would be great, but he is a famous athlete. If he wants to state his views, then publicity should be expected. It comes with the goods of being a professional athletes.
    July 28th, 2012 at 06:16am
  • I don't understand the backlash against Thomas. He said what he felt needed to be said, and he has every right to do that. While I don't agree with his view, I respect his right to express it.
    July 28th, 2012 at 03:18am
  • Shadows of L.A.
    See but the problem the majority of people are having with Chick-Fill-A is not solely because they hold anti-marriage equality views. Rather, people are having a problem with them because they are actively donating to known anti-gay groups who are fighting to take away rights from LGBTQ people. That is a problem because, as you said, taking away a person's rights is wrong. I am one of the people who have vowed not to eat Chick-Fill-A again unless they stop donating to anti-gay organizations. I'm not doing it because I think they don't have a right to express their opinions because that's not true at all, I am doing it because I refuse to support a business that supports taking rights away from people. It's as simple as that. As long as they support taking rights away from LGBTQ people and donating to organizations that advocate that, they will not be getting mine and others business.

    But even that aside, like Audrey said, Chick-Fill-A (and anyone) has a right to say their opinion and hold a stance of anti-marriage equality if they so choose just as other people have a right to openly criticize and challenge them for that opinion. But the point is, many people's problem with Chick-Fill-A is not about their views alone but about the fact they are helping organizations fighting to take away civil rights from LGBTQ people.
    July 28th, 2012 at 03:13am
  • Shadow of L.A.

    The issue with Chick-Fil-A specifically is not that they just don't support gay marriage but that they - as a company, not just Tim Thomas personally - financially support lobbying against gay marriage. This is why so many people are boycotting and calling for others to boycott the restaurant, because the money spent there goes to support anti LGBT rights legislation.

    So while they do have a right - as Americans - to be vocal about how they feel, every other American has the right to be vocally against them. They don't have ignore it because free speech goes both ways - especially when it moves from just voicing opinions to actively trying to stifle the rights of others.

    Stephiibean71

    I understand, but there was just that paragraph in there that stood out to me. It seemed like you were saying he shouldn't be speaking publicly about this because he's an athlete (and athletes shouldn't speak about their personal lives/opinions) and that seemed a hypocritical because the campaign you linked to shows other athletes doing just that.
    July 28th, 2012 at 01:28am
  • Just because he may not stand for same-sex marriage doesn't mean he's against homosexuals. Just means he doesn't believe they should be married. Honestly, Chick-Fil-A is a privately owned business and say what they want, believe what they want, and Tim Thomas can say and believe what he want. Last I checked he and Chick-Fil-A are American, they have a 1st Amendment right. By saying they can't speak about it because you/others don't agree with what they have to say is taking away their right. Taking away someone else's right is wrong. If you don't like what he said, or don't agree with it, ignore it. It's his opinion on HIS facebook, he can say whatever he pleases.

    People just need to stop caring what others think and say and only worry about themselves. People have different beliefs and opinions, and are entitled to it, so everyone just needs to get over it because honestly, it's ridiculous.
    July 28th, 2012 at 12:47am
  • Thomas is a player that has been scrutinized for his opinions in the public eye for the better part of the last year. His argument is that he doesn't like to be asked about his statuses. More or less this article is more directed towards if you don't want to be asked about it or scrutinized, why post it? It's not so much the fact that he has an opinion and that he posts it, it's the fact that he doesn't like being talked to about it after the fact or being questioned about it in general. So, if you want to have your personal views that's well and good post about them, but if you don't want to be questioned or scrutinized being in the public eye, then don't make it viral. That's the message that I was trying to get across. ((I realize not everyone knows the general back story of Thomas and this past season, that's my bad for not going in depth on that topic)
    July 27th, 2012 at 09:59pm
  • @ Creatively

    If by "people defending him" you're referring to me, I'm not defending his opinion.

    This was stated in the content of this article:

    The difference between Thomas and a majority of other professional athletes? The majority of professional athletes know to keep their personal views/lives separate from their work/profession. If Thomas were to have posted his views on a personal page with just personal friends and family, by all means, voice your opinion.

    This statement is not true at all. Athletes (and other people in the spotlight) speak out for causes all the time and put forth their opinions about things all the time. Joining groups and associations, volunteering and becoming advocates for certain causes, standing up or against homophobia - all of these are examples of how athletes and other do allow their personal lives and opinions to mince with their professional live. Even athletes involved in the You Can Play Project are doing exactly as Thomas has done - speaking up for what they believe in - and the only difference is that they're on the other side of the issue. Athletes who publicly join and speak out with You Can Play Project are all putting forth their personal opinions and using their status as an athlete to get their message out. And just as they can do so, so can he.

    I'm not saying what he's said is right, or that I agree with it, or that everyone should agree with. But the argument that since it's his personal opinion, he shouldn't express it in a public venue doesn't make any sense - considering that many (if not most) other athletes do the same. And the argument that other athletes keep their mouths shut about their personal opinions is simply untrue.
    July 27th, 2012 at 09:31pm
  • You know what, like anyone else, I used to think Thomas was a stand-up guy, but after the Obama thing and now this, I just think he's rude and homophobic. I think the You Can Play Project is beautiful and I stand by it 100%. And you know what, fuck Thomas there is a good chance no one's gonna want him as a part of their organization after this year he's taking off and I'm glad, he doesn't deserve it. If he feels like it's justified trying to take away the right to marry freely, then someone can take away his right to play in the National Hockey League, there shouldn't be room for people like that.

    Makes you wonder if the real reason he's taking a year off is because he suspects one of his team mates is gay and he's just ~waiting for it to go away.

    Also, I just wanna say that I think it's complete bull that people are defending him. Yeah it's his opinion I get it but where were you when Rick Santorum was sharing his "views" with the world?
    July 27th, 2012 at 09:19pm