Colorguard: Stereotypes Brought to Light

When most people think of colorguard, they either think "Oh, that thing with the flags?" or "Ew, what weird girls." The truth is, there really isn't a type for anything. Sometimes people fit the bill of the sport they're in, but for the most part, they're just doing the sport they love. The most common stereotypes, though, are channelled to middle or high school guards. In middle school, maybe, kids are just trying to find themselves and will melt to appease the mold of extra-curriculars.

For example, kids from my middle school would assume that kids in art classes were either super shy but snotty. On the contrary, I'm sure there was at least one person like that, but for the most part, they were kids who had to have an extra-curricular. So the truth that the kids would believe was just a simple assumption. In middle school, kids will believe anything they hear. High school, for the most part, is generally more mature as far as mental states go, but of course everyone's different. As much as people grow up or grow down in high school, there's always that one stereotype that people can't help but laugh at, and that's, once again, colorguard.

I'm here to clarify for any people who are curious about a different view on the misunderstood sport. As far as assumptions go, just try to keep your mind open for those who are just reading this for a few yucks.

Colorguard Girls are Rejected Cheerleaders

This one of the most commonly believed prosaisms about guardos. Personally, I've only ever known two and one turned out to be pretty good and was on the rifle line. The other one was the type that tried out for cheerleading just to impress others. There is usually one of those types of people, but they aren't all bad. On a different note, however, guard girls are actually pretty skilled for the most part. Some are average, some are goddesses, and there's always that one who makes everyone on the team want to yank their hair out; this is a fact about guard, but on the other hand, isn't it for every sport?

Colorguard Girls are Hated by the Cheerleaders

This myth honestly can be true, it just depends on which school you go to. My friend transferred from North Carolina and said the stereotype of guard and cheer tensions were so bad, it was like one of those cheesy ABC Family movies. However, this isn't always the case. The school I go to has an awesome cheer team. They've actually made us cookies and a poster to tell us good luck at a competition before! It's quite backwards, though, because the football and cheer teams respect us and we respect them, but the basketball teams hate us. It's really strange, honestly, but I suppose that closes the belief that guardos are hated by cheerleaders, as long as you know that it does happen and sometimes it doesn't.

Colorguard Girls are Fat

I have one response: some girls are. That doesn't mean all overweight girls are on their high school colorguard teams

Colorguard Girls are Drama Queens

Again, do you know any girl who isn't? Even if it's only a little, every girl is.

Colorguard Girls Only Date Band Geeks

Guard takes up the majority of a high school guardo's life. There are competitions, football games, practices, night practices, volunteer time to the team, not to mention practicing on your own - it's a lot of things to do. The only time guard girls get to see people of the male gender is during field season practice. When you see a guy you like that much, it's a good opportunity to hang out with them. Bus rides to games or competitions are always taken by your brass boyfriend, and let's face it, it's not such a bad thing. You get to see the guy you like constantly and occasionally get to see him shirtless when it's a million degrees on the field, but the downside is that, if you have a bad break-up, you have to see the person who hates you or broke your heart every single day. So yes, this myth is more of a true occurrence than anything, but I know girls on my team who date outside the yard lines. It happens, but not all the time. If you see a person you think is cute everyday, it's a very slim chance that you won't end up liking them after all the time you spend around him or her. Unless, of course, you realize that person is a psychopath.

So these are the most common stereotypes, but not all, I'm sure. These are the only ones I've heard, but there are probably more. Let it be known that, yes, sometimes these things are true, but it's never a hundred percent solid fact.

Latest articles