From the Racetrack to the Riding Hall: OTTBs

From the Racetrack to the Riding Hall: OTTBs "Thoroughbreds have the most heart of any breed. If you asked a thoroughbred to jump off the golden gate bridge he'd do it without hesitation And if he survived he'd do it again".

Off the track thoroughbreds are well bred top athletes for show as well as pleasure riding. As lovely as OTTBs sound, they are not a beginner mount. Only experienced horse people should handle them. Not that they are all hot and flighty; it’s simply that most OTTBs have never heard of cross ties or mounting blocks. If you aren’t an experienced trainer, but feel you are up to the OTTB challenge, you can be better prepared by knowing what to expect.

A term that all OTTB owners and handlers are familiar with is Track Broke: Never been jumped, ridden in a ring, cross tied, or mounted while standing still, not to mention mounted from a block. Your horse will come to you as a "green-prospect.”

Some people recommend three to four months turnout only and THEN you re-school him. Others suggest turnout and re-schooling at the same time. It’s really your call, depending on the horse. Do what you think is best. At the track horses are so pumped full of chemicals and high powered vitamins and minerals, talk to your vet (preferably one who specializes in thoroughbreds and OTTBs) about flushing his system; expect this to take about thirty days.

Before you begin mounted re-training, lunging or even ground work it’s important that you have a good team: a good vet, a good trainer and a family that’s willing to drive you down to the stable every day (if you board) and the emergency room if necessary.

A good vet would ideally have some thoroughbred experience, possibly even have worked at a racetrack. First of all your regular riding trainer, unless experienced with OTTBs should not be your horse trainer. A good trainer should, again have some OTTB experience, and be successful in training your desired discipline. A good family just needs to be dedicated; you need to visit your horse every day even in the early stages of training. This kind of people should not be too hard to find, OTTBs are becoming more popular and thus more people are gaining more knowledge about them and their mysterious ways. Now obviously you can’t pick and choose your family, but before you purchase or adopt an OTTB you need to get your family on board 100%.

Let your horse hang out in his stall for a week or two before doing anything with him, grooming is good though as it establishes trust.

The next step, once you think both of you are ready is lunging. Lunging gives you the opportunity to really see how your horse moves, which will impact your future training plans.
Before your first lunging session start by had walking your horse around the arena, ring, or field for five minutes. Then start your horse on a 15-17 meter circle depending on calm he is. Walk him to the right first for ten minutes, and then walk him around the arena in hand again for no more than five minutes. Then start him to the left for five minutes, your sessions shouldn’t be to long because your horse is in a new environment and doing new exercises. Take him back to the barn and put him in the stall, groom him in his stall with a rub rag or soft brush.

Do one week of solid walking and then, if you think your horse is ready keep the same exercise and just do it at the trot, but if you feel out of control for one second IMMEDIATELY bring your horse down to a walk. You should NEVER feel out of control, it is normal to be a little nervous but remember nervous handler equals nervous rider.

Once you are comfortable lunging at the trot and eventually the canter in a 15-17 meter circle try a 20 meter circle and repeat the process. The 15-17 w/t/c and the 20 w/t/c should take about three months with the average horse, if you feel that you and your horse are up to it you cant try a little pole in you lunge circle at the walk.

When the day to ride your OTTB finally comes make sure that the weather is good, nothing is worse than having a weird person on your back and hail banging on the roof of the riding hall. Always have an assistant; this assistant should probably be your trainer or other experienced handler. Have them hold the horse while you mount, only walk for the first month and only for small ten minute sessions. When you are ready to trot, have your assistant lunge you in a 15-17 meter circle. Slowly progressing to a 20 meter circle. Continue with ten minute sessions for three weeks to a month. Once you can walk and trot 20 meter circles constantly and confidently you can try a short canter on the lunge line. The first time you try this however its useful (but perhaps a little paranoid] to have a cell phone ready in case you have to call 911 or the vet. My team and I went so far as to pre-dial so all we had to do was press call, my horse spooked at a squirrel and bucked me off so it was very useful [I broke some bones and had a minor concussion). Canter every other day.

Ideally you should start in the early spring. This let down and re start process should happen from early spring through late fall. During winter give your horse time to relax and frolic, take this time to introduce him into the herd. Start with an older gelding and leave him there for a week or two, then throw his next door neighbor into the paddock as well. After a week, put him in the paddock after all of the regular horses go in.

Remember have fun, if you stop having fun or you feel you aren’t up to the challenge don’t abandon or sell your horse, send him to a professional trainer.

Latest articles