Coming Out: The State of Homosexuality and Homophobia in Professional Sports - Comments

  • PANDAmonium99

    PANDAmonium99 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    24
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    People are really hyped up about Jason Collins, and I get it's because he's the first openly gay man in American sport, but a rugby player called Gareth Thomas already came out a while ago. That doesn't mean that coming out was any harder for Jason, though.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3OnU_hNVrA
    May 11th, 2013 at 06:10pm
  • The Zac

    The Zac (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Australia
    I don't think sexuality should matter at all. It's cool if you want to come out and all, but who cares? I don't care what you do in the bedroom? I care what you do in the ring/the mat/the field/the court or whatever. Obviously the homophobia and stigma attached can be problematic, but I think sexuality along with other aspects of an athlete's personal life mean nothing.
    May 10th, 2013 at 08:11am
  • serendipity;

    serendipity; (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I really liked the article, but I'm not too sure if I was fond of the title that Sports Illustrated slapped on the cover next to his face. I don't think at any time he should be stamped "The gay athlete", and now that's what I've noticed some people refer to him as which is pretty silly. While SI was highlighting him coming out (because that's a huge event and I'm really proud/admire the bravery Collins portrays) they're also sort of giving him a new name as well. If this makes any sense.

    All of that aside, I admire him for what he did and I hope he paves the way for other athletes to feel comfortable enough to truly be themselves in the media if they choose to.
    May 9th, 2013 at 06:01pm
  • Unholy_Vengeance

    Unholy_Vengeance (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    @ voracek
    Well sweetness :D:D that's cool I hope all goes well out there
    May 8th, 2013 at 08:51am
  • the 1975

    the 1975 (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    @ Vengeance_of_Shadows
    It's in Glassboro, New Jersey. I guess it's a smaller school (only ~10,000 students) but it's one of the top schools in the country, apparently.
    May 8th, 2013 at 08:23am
  • Unholy_Vengeance

    Unholy_Vengeance (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    @ voracek
    Hmm Rowan, I don't think I've heard of it where is it located?
    May 8th, 2013 at 08:20am
  • the 1975

    the 1975 (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    @ Vengeance_of_Shadows
    That's fine! I just accepted your request. And I go to Rowan University.
    May 8th, 2013 at 08:07am
  • Unholy_Vengeance

    Unholy_Vengeance (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    @ voracek
    Thanks a dozen! I'll keep that in mind! In fact, Imma recommend and add u as a friend (If that is ok) and what college do you attend (If you don't mind me asking)
    May 8th, 2013 at 07:43am
  • the 1975

    the 1975 (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    @ Vengeance_of_Shadows
    You're very welcome! I'm a senior in college so I've been been through the ringer a few times. If you ever have any questions or anything please feel free to ask!
    May 8th, 2013 at 07:18am
  • the 1975

    the 1975 (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    @ This.Useless.Heart.
    Thank you! I was a little iffy on posting it (I was worried someone might get offended, and that wasn't my intention at all) but I'm glad you found it interesting!
    May 8th, 2013 at 07:17am
  • Unholy_Vengeance

    Unholy_Vengeance (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    @ voracek
    Thanks again, your very helpful :) well Im not looking for scholarships straight at this moment, Im still a sophomore, soon to be junior so I'm not really tripping but I'll get an in depth look at them
    May 8th, 2013 at 07:16am
  • This.Useless.Heart.

    This.Useless.Heart. (115)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United States
    Great article! Thanks for posting! I don't know much about the world of professional sports, although some of the more negative parts of this article did not really surprise me. However, to see some of the great positives, that was a great surprise to me. I like how you posted both negatives and positives, by the way. All in all, I found this really article interesting, and I think I will continue to follow the issues mentioned here as well.
    May 8th, 2013 at 07:11am
  • the 1975

    the 1975 (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    @ Vengeance_of_Shadows
    Hm, I'm not too sure how scholarships that come directly from the college itself work (I've always applied for scholarships through sites like scholarships.com), but there are definitely tons of outside programs like the one I linked you to that should be able to help you! I just typed 'scholarships for LGBT students' into Google and a bunch of sites came up.
    May 8th, 2013 at 06:50am
  • Unholy_Vengeance

    Unholy_Vengeance (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    @ voracek
    Thanks a lot cause I've heard stories of colleges that don't give scholarships for those who are LGBT
    May 8th, 2013 at 06:45am
  • the 1975

    the 1975 (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    @ Vengeance_of_Shadows
    Thank you for your feedback as well! Smile

    Have you looked into programs like this? There are tons of similar programs that provide scholarships for LGBT students. Maybe it's because of where I'm from, but almost all of the colleges in my area have a Gay-Straight Alliance program and don't discriminate based on sexual orientation whatsoever. Regardless, you should be as open as you're comfortable being.
    May 8th, 2013 at 03:22am
  • Unholy_Vengeance

    Unholy_Vengeance (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    Thank you for this article it is amazing! And Collins is a idol, just because of what you are attracted too shouldn't determine your athletic abilities. He has really proved that, and I'm glad that it's breaking down those barriers. I am openly bi sexual, but I do fear will I be turned down for a scholarship for my sexuality. My mom has accepted my sexuality but doesn't want me too be that open (Not that I care for how she wants me to portray myself [harsh but I'm being honest])
    May 8th, 2013 at 03:16am
  • the 1975

    the 1975 (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    @ stallion duck.
    That's a good question, and it'll be interesting to see the outcome of this.

    I think there might be a few teams that won't want to sign him, but with so much of the response being positive, I think there are definitely some teams that it won't bother as well. (If I recall correctly, I believe the Boston Celtics and Washington Wizards both said something in support of him, but that may have only been because he once played for those organizations.)

    Either way, he's already being offered book deals and doing tons of interviews, so something tells me he won't have to rely solely on basketball for an income anymore.
    May 8th, 2013 at 02:30am
  • stallion duck.

    stallion duck. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    There was this kid I have that class with made a comment along the lines of "I don't understand why he did that. He just messed his money up. It shouldn't matter who he's attracted to but I don't think he should have done it because others do believe it matters." This kid is one of our star athletes at my school. It's a fantastic thing that Collins did this, but he's a freelance player. Is it worth the possible financial ruin? I guess we'll see and I hope this ends on a positive note for him money-wise and for the LGBTQ community.
    May 8th, 2013 at 02:22am
  • AhtmahKhalsa

    AhtmahKhalsa (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    @voracek Your Welcome! :) And I Agree 100% I hope it is just the beginning as well! xD
    May 8th, 2013 at 02:02am
  • the 1975

    the 1975 (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    @ AhtmahKhalsa
    Thank you for your feedback! It has been very reassuring to see all the support surrounding Jason Collins and I truly hope it's just the beginning.
    May 8th, 2013 at 02:00am