Wimbledon Final

It was a nail biting match to say the least. After three gruelling hours in 40 degree heat, Andy Murray (Number 2 seed), defeated Number 1 seed Novak Djokovic.

You could see by the first game that the match was going to be amazing as they played a 20 stroke rally of high quality. The two were very evenly matched.

15,000 people filled centre court to watch this dramatic final and thousands more on Henman Hill, which is in the grounds of Wimbledon. Many are calling for it to be named Murray Mound due to the Scot's success. This was the first British Wimbledon winner for 77 years. The last Brit to win the championship was Fred Perry in 1936.

The last set was the most dramatic of them all, as Murray went through 4 championship points before winning the match. The final score was 6-4 7-5 6-4 meaning Murray won with straight sets.

In celebration of his victory Murray headed into the crowds, high fiving his adoring fans. He then made his way up to his team and girlfriend Kim Sears who congratulated him, but Andy walked away before his Mum, Judy Murray, could congratulate him! Of course, she called him over. Judy Murray was a huge driving force in Andy's sporting career. The parents of Novak Djokovic then congratulated Judy on her son's win, showing how gracious they are.

Latest articles