Kilmarnock FC Beat Hibernian to Avoid Relegation

As the final games of the Scottish Premier League draw to a close, a desperate battle to avoid relegation was started, with the determining match between Kilmarnock and Hibernian football clubs one widely anticipated by fans of both teams. As the losing team would find themselves in the final relegation playoffs, everything was at stake.

A dangerous beginning for Kilmarnock saw Hibernian with several wide shots at goal. Although few of them were in the region of becoming a goal, the constant pressure could have been catastrophic for the visiting side. However, Kilmarnock pulled it back before half-time, with a beautiful volley by Kris Boyd finding the goal and giving Kilmarnock the upper hand going into the second half, a small victory that no doubt gave the team the confidence they needed to go out and win.

The second half of the game showed a fairly uneventful game of football. Hibs had possession frequently, but just couldn’t seem to get the ball into the net. Similarly, several set-up by Kilmarnock players failed to find their way to a goal and as the final whistle blew, the score remained a firm one-nil to Kilmarnock, leaving Hibs with the realisation that they would be fighting for their spot in the SPL.

Kilmarnock and their fans, however, can rest easy, with a final position of ninth in the league table and with no debt on their record, they can keep their main focus on improving the team and avoiding the same diabolical season they have had in 2013-2014.

The first leg of the final play-offs begins on the twenty-first of May, where Hibernian will be the visiting club. The play-offs will then conclude at Easter Road on the twenty-fifth of May, where the team exiting the SPL will be decided.

Latest articles