Tackling Sexism in Football - Comments

  • fen'harel

    fen'harel (560)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    Mexico
    @ bona drag.
    My bad! I'm from Mexico so I see football on a site where it's all in English and I immediately associate it with American football; I forget that it's only in America where football =/= soccer Facepalm I feel very embarrassed right now. I apologize for misinterpreting this issue!

    We have a very similar problem in Mexico but mass media rarely covers the sexism going on because women leagues do not leave a lot of money and very little people are concerned about the lack of coverage and representation of women in futból.

    I think this all becomes more visible with world tournaments where the misogyny is so embedded into the publicity presented that it's hard to ignore how much of a world problem sexism in football or futból or soccer is. Not to mention the racism that comes with it, too.
    May 3rd, 2015 at 09:43pm
  • bona drag.

    bona drag. (935)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    Ireland
    @ fen'harel
    The article isn't about American football. It's about soccer, specifically in the UK. I'm not really knowledgeable on misogyny in American sports or what actions groups are taking to combat that over there. Here in England, as more and more women become involved in the top flight leagues from being board members to medical staff and we have female linesmen now, the issue of sexism and abuse during the matches is becoming more publicised because it's hard to deny it's happening to female professionals when you have mass chants caught on camera and you see comments posted about them online. The digital age is making it really hard to brush off sexism in professional sports like it has been for decades.
    May 3rd, 2015 at 09:32pm
  • fen'harel

    fen'harel (560)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    Mexico
    Misogyny on traditionally male-dominated fields is so vile and horrible. I was not aware of these issues in American football, but I'm sadly not surprised judging by how women tend to be portrayed on media targeted at men and aired during these games. It is horrible and needs to change like it is the case on other male-dominated fields and hobbies.
    May 3rd, 2015 at 08:21pm