Yankee Pitcher Suspended for Wild Pitch

Yankee Pitcher Suspended for Wild Pitch On the morning of April 19, 2008 accusations were issued against Kyle Farnsworth after throwing a pitch behind the neck of another player. Farnsworth was suspended for three games and given a fine, however the amount of the fine has not been released to the public.

The game between the Yankees and Red Sox occurred earlier this week (Thursday April 17, 2008) although the penalty was just imposed Saturday. Farnsworth was pitching to Manny Ramirez when he unexpectedly threw a fastball moving at ninety seven miles per hour directly behind Ramirez's neck. Prior to that particular pitch, Ramirez had hit two home runs to help the Red Sox beat the Yankees with a score of seven to five.

Farnsworth has appealed the suspension, and a hearing will have to take place to determine if the suspension was justified or not. Until the hearing does occur, Farnsworth is allowed to continue pitching for the Yankees. Some speculate that the pitch was intentionally thrown at Ramirez as retaliation for the Yankees' star Alex Rodriguez being hit with a pitch the previous night. Ramirez commented on the situation and stated that "We hit one of the best players and I guess they want to send a message and that's what they did."

This is not the first time a sketchy pitch has gotten Farnsworth into trouble. In 2003 Farnsworth threw an inside pitch and nearly hit Paul Wilson of the Chicago Cubs. The two players then had a physical altercation on the field, and Farnsworth was suspended for three games.

Latest articles