Emo and Goth to Be Made Illegal in Russia

Emo and Goth to Be Made Illegal in Russia A new law is being drafted in Russia to make Emo and Goth music illegal.

In June 2008, a parliamentary hearing on a draft of proposed amendments contained in a document called ‘Government Strategy in the Sphere of Spiritual and Ethical Education,’ a copy which was obtained by the Moscow Times.

The paper reported that among other things, the proposed legislation calls for heavy regulation of emo web sites and for banning young people dressed like emos and goths from entering schools and government buildings.

The paper also interviewed one of the bill's authors, Igor Ponkin, from the Russian Interior Ministry's Public Oversight Council. He called emo a "social danger" and "a threat to national stability", and claimed is a reaction to teen suicides, such as the suicide of 13 year old Hannah Bond.

"This type of behavior is a crucial part of emo ideology," said Ponkin. "Of course there are emo teens who just listen to their music. But our actions are not directed at them but rather at those who also hurt themselves, commit suicide and promote those acts."

Inna Chervoka, a psychologist was also interviewed by the Moscow Times, and she said:

"Suicide is not a symptom of emo culture. I work with other teens too, and every group has emotionally troubled kids."

However, the bill is hoped to be passed into law by the end of 2008.

Latest articles