China: Sixteen Police Killed In Lead-Up To Games

China: Sixteen Police Killed In Lead-Up To Games With just days to go until the Olympic Opening Ceremony, security in Beijing tightens after a suspected terrorist attack in West China.

The state-run China Daily newspaper has reported that the ETIM, or East Turkestan Islamic Movement, which is listed by the UN as a terrorist organisation, is likely to be behind the attack.

According to the Xinhua report, on Monday, it is said that two unnamed attackers drove a tip truck into the group of border patrol officers who were jogging, a part of their daily exercise regime.

The two attackers got off the lorry after the vehicle veered to hit a roadside wire pole. They threw home-made explosives to the barracks, causing explosion. They also hacked the policemen with knives.

The police said the two attackers had been arrested, and one got a leg injury in the raid.

Police found debris of five explosives in the division yard.

On Tuesday, Chinese authorities made a move to keep any further information of the attack, with internet access cut off across the city, with residents claiming that;
"We can't talk about that. You must understand if we talk about it, the police will come and arrest us."

China has not, however made an official statement about which group may be behind the attack, letting unofficial 'terror experts' opinion's to be used in the media.

It is unknown whether the attack was related to the coming Olympic games.

Latest articles