1600 Die As World Watches Games

1600 Die As World Watches Games The first day of the Olympic Games has been marred by the death of an estimated 1600 people in Tskhinvali alone, after fights break out in South Ossetia.

The Russian foreign ministry says that Ukraine, part of the former Soviet Union, encouraged Georgia to carry out "ethnic cleansing" in South Ossetia.

Russia attempted to "force the Georgian side into peace" by taking power of the South Ossetian capital, after sending in tanks and troops on Friday, as the world stopped to watch the Opening Ceremony, to ward off the Georgian forces and win back the disputed province.

Russia destroyed a key Georgian port for moving oil and an other energy sources, as well as bombing the city of Gori, a military base in Vaziani, military airport in Marneuli, and a railway and airport in Senaki.

Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili told a national security council meeting that, "I have signed a decree on a state of war. Georgia is in a state of total military aggression," While a military official said that they planned to pull it's entire military contingent from Iraq within the next few days, adding 2000 more military units to the battle.

Meanwhile, approximately 30 000 South Ossentian people have fled the border to Russia, to avoid the blood-shed.

Latest articles