Diving Upset From Down Under

Diving Upset From Down Under Nobody would think that anyone could dethrone the Chinese divers from this Olympics but someone did!

The Australian diver, Matthew Mitcham, was in second place and down by a lot. To be exact he was around 32.5 points behind the leading Chinese, Zhou Luxin. The only way that this Chinese diver would not win first and be the only Chinese diver to not win a diving gold this Olympics was to royally fudge up. Luxin would have to do horribly on his round six dive and miss it while the second place diver would have to meet perfect and that is how it came down to it.

Zhou Luxin terribly missed his 3.4 dive. Luxin ended with a low 70.80 and that brought his total to 533.1. Matthew Mitcham's 3.8 dive was executed wonderfully and there was no splash in his entry to the water. The only way he could win this gold was if he got 10's on his dive and he most certainly did! He ended up with four 10's, two 9.5's and one 9.0.

The diver from down under had stolen the gold from the Chinese and upset a nation. As the scores were posted and the camera focused in on Mitcham, could see the pure joy and exuberance on his face. He had taken the opening that Luxin gave him and ran with it. With tears of total ecstasy pouring down his face he hugged his coach and family members as someone told him, "You've won the gold!"

Latest articles