Animal Testing

Animal Testing Animal testing refers to the use of animals for research leading to development of all sorts of products; from shampoo and cosmetics to all kinds of drugs.

Many supporters of this hideous, cruel industry argue that animal testing is “a necessary practice for the development of products”. It is clear that this is not the case. Animal testing is not necessary. It is, however, an indication of human cruelty and blatant non-appreciation of the blessing that is our animal companions.

Animals used in testing are often acquired from breeders and breeding facilities, although some are taken from the wild and their natural habitat, or from pound seizure. Mice and rats are the most commonly used animals in testing, because they are not included in the Animal Welfare Act, but many other animals such as dogs, cats, rabbits and non human primates like chimpanzees are also used. An estimated 100 million mice are used in U.S testing laboratories each year, and though this statistic seems trivial in the greater scheme of things, it is merely an outtake on numbers, oblivious to the amount of pain and horror suffered by these poor, defenseless animals.

And what is the argument FOR animal testing? It has been argued that it is necessary; a worthy cause. It has been argued that it is simply the most efficient means of research testing. Some desperate supporters, in attempted empathy for the animals’ situation, have even gone so far as to say that the animals don’t suffer. The question here is of their ignorance; how could they possibly believe that a chimp in a small wire cage, being prodded with syringes or a rabbit with eye shadow in its little eyes or lipstick on its skin could possibly be unaware of the painful tests being carried out on it?

But the torture of defenseless animals isn’t the only method of research. Over twenty non-animal research options have been established, and many more are being developed. Some examples of these alternative testing options include taking a piece of living flesh, placing it in a Petri dish and performing toxicity tests on it, rather than cause pain and suffering to a mouse or rat. Unlike crude and archaic animal tests, these alternatives are not only saving the lives of animals but are also cheaper, quicker and overall more efficient.

Not everyone will heed this information. It is clear that some people, hitherto making themselves known by killing animals for sport or even having so little humanity as to eat their flesh, simply do not empathize or care for the lives of our animal friends. But it is anticipated that some of us will soon realize the great impertinence being shown to millions of animals all over the world, and will work to bring down the vicious, unnecessary industry that is animal testing.

Latest articles