Bible Revamped to Look Like "Fashion Magazine"

Bible Revamped to Look Like "Fashion Magazine" Ever imagined Angelina Jolie getting a place in the Bible? Well, the Swedish publisher Al Forlaget did. Al Forlaget is circulating a revamped version of the New Testament featuring full-page pictures of such icons as Jolie and Martin Luther King Jr. accompanied by a simplified edition of the original text. This new Bible will soon be coming to the United States.

Called the Bible Illuminated, it is likened by some to a fashion magazine - with its three-column format, important passages highlighted, and glossy production that would feel right at home on a coffee table. The front cover is decorated with gem tones and has a slight sci-fi vibe going. It features a close-up of a unearthly-looking young woman's heavily made-up right eye. Inside, there are also many pictures and photographs of celebrities, works of art, and modern interpretations of ancient scriptural quotes. (An example being three inner-city teenage boys striking gangster poses juxtaposed with the caption "Where is the baby born to be the king of the Jews?" as first said by the Three Wise Men.)

The Bible Illuminated has caused a small controversy, receiving both praise and criticism from various groups of people. Some Christians believe it will spread the message in an entertaining, easily relateable way to many audiences, especially young adults. Other Christians, however, see it as shallow and mindless, diluting the original New Testament's meaning and power. The average person's response, though, seems to be, "Umm...OK."

I personally think this Bible and the idea behind it is pretty ridiculous. No one who reads it could intend to become a real and serious Christian. Plus, what is with Angelina Jolie being in it? If a central theme of the Bible is supposed to be humility, wouldn't a big movie star be a direct contradiction of that?

As we become more and more modern, we move away from the period of the scriptures both time-wise and mentally. As a consequence, there will be a steady mounting of attempts to link the two worlds. Will those attempts ultimately fail, always compromising one side in favor of the other? Or is it really possible to create a version of the Bible that is both appealing to today's mindset while staying true to its original message?

Latest articles