Arizona Passes Gay Marriage Law

Arizona Passes Gay Marriage Law Proposition 102 states that in the state of Arizona marriage is recognized as the union of one man and one woman. That's it. The same law was up for ballot in 2006, however it failed to pass. On November 4th, it passed- 56% to 44%.

Gay marriage was already illegal in Arizona, however prop. 102 ensured that it be recognized in the Arizona constitution. Arizona is now one of 30 states that have passed this same law. Connecticut, and Massachusetts are so far the only two states that have legalized gay marriage.

Supporters of prop. 102 are claiming that this proposition will secure our future generations,

"No one has the right to redefine marriage for all of society. Voting “yes” on Prop 102 secures the definition of marriage for future generations."

While other seem to think it is violating people's rights, and their feelings,

"Proposition 102 supporters are once again advancing a proposition that intrudes on not just people's rights, but more importantly the feelings of a group of people. These are people I hope someday will be treated by our society with justice, as the wonderful, hard-working people they are."

Arizona is a highly conservative state, so part of me is not at all surprised the law was passed, what bothers me- and other advocates for No on Prop. 102- is that every supporter for this proposition seems to contradict their own words.

Proposition 102 claims that "no one has the right to redefine marriage for all of society", as stated above, but is that not what they are doing? Publicly redefining marriage, making unable for homosexuals to legalize their 'partnership'.

It claims that no rights are being robbed, but is the right to love whomever we choose not being robbed? Why shouldn't gay couples be allowed to proudly show that they are married?

The supporters arguments were not well thought out, they were hypocritical, and it is over all a ridiculous law. I find it strange that the conservatives of Arizona seem to think that dictating how other people live their lives is acceptable.

"Proponents of Proposition 102 argue that it will protect marriage. We ask, protect it from what? Do gay unions threaten heterosexual marriages? We don't believe so."

Latest articles