Teen Convicted in Racist Killing Spree

Teen Convicted in Racist Killing Spree Johan Nel was only eighteen years old when he viciously attempted to kill, and successfully murdered several people in a racist fit of rage. His unfortunate victims included a mother, her young infant, a ten-year-old boy and an elderly man. He also attempted to shoot 11 other people, and successfully hit seven people in addition to the people he murdered. All were ethnically African and black.

The shooting occurred in the North Western province of South Africa, in the streets of Skierlik, a rural community in January. His victims were chosen randomly, and just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. His conviction was not issued until Friday, November 21, 2008 and Nel is now nineteen. He was given four consecutive life sentences, as well as an additional sixty-eight years for the attempted murders, five years for possessing a fire arm without a license, and three years for possessing ammunition without a license.

Nel’s lawyer, Frikkie Pretorius, plans to appeal the conviction and says that he believes the court may have overlooked something. The basis of Pretorius’ defense was that Nel was home-schooled, and thus not accustomed to people of different ethnicities. A psychologist who testified in court did state that Nel was mentally competent, according to Pretorius.

The case was tried in the Mmabatho High Court in Mafikeng. The judge as well as the prosecutor both received threatening notes, some as severe as threats on their lives, ordering the two to not give Nel a life sentence. Obviously, they did not allow the threats to interfere with their jobs.

Latest articles