Petsmart Not So Smart With Hermit Crab Care - Comments

  • Throw.My.Faith

    Throw.My.Faith (105)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I have 7 hermit crabs in a large fish tank. My family thinks i'm just going over the top but it is actually all set up to appropriate hermit crab conditions. So few people know the true care of hermit crabs. Thank you for posting this!
    June 30th, 2009 at 11:02pm
  • Rhea

    Rhea (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I guess it just depends on the store, I bought hermit crabs at a PetSmart when I was 6, and 8 years later, they're still alive.
    June 30th, 2009 at 04:35pm
  • Vica.:.:.

    Vica.:.:. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Location:
    United States
    The petsmart where I live is just as bad, if not worse. I took my dog in for a grooming and was horrifed when I went to pick him up. His claws were bleeding and they had clipped a piece of his ear. He gave me a mournful look and I refused to pay.
    February 27th, 2009 at 12:29pm
  • Romans6:14

    Romans6:14 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    It really depends on the store though. what one store does is not the same as every other in the chain. I have yet to see a dead animal at petsmart, while every time i go into petco i find an animal that is dead or hurt.
    January 1st, 2009 at 12:08am
  • bucky barnes.

    bucky barnes. (705)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    This actually happened to me, for serious. One of my hermit crabs died & the other one had trouble molting because the pet store sold me gravel, not sand. & then that one died too. They also didn't tell me that I had to keep the tank at a certain temperature. Probs I should've researched, but still. Stupid pet store...
    December 15th, 2008 at 02:43am
  • MellowCosmos

    MellowCosmos (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Those Wuckfits! :O
    December 5th, 2008 at 06:02am
  • Dreams.of.Someday

    Dreams.of.Someday (900)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    The only two problems with buying from a "good"pet store is that you support the whole chain, which has many horrific pet stores (if it's a chain store) and the over-population of guinea pigs, rabbits, hamsters, etc. Yes, they ARE over-populated, even though they are not cats or dogs.
    November 28th, 2008 at 01:53am
  • Rendition

    Rendition (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I don't know what kind of petsmart you guys shop at but the one near my house is completely opposite to what you say. i've never seen a dead animal there before. I got a hamster from there before, it lasted two years, until a cat ate it. I guess not all petstores are the same.
    November 28th, 2008 at 01:07am
  • lizzie the lizard.

    lizzie the lizard. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    The petsmart here does the same thing, except with every kind of pet. :|
    November 28th, 2008 at 12:20am
  • Berytni

    Berytni (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Oh...my...god....
    Someone restrain me.
    That's so stupid. I had hermit crabs when I was 10 and took better care of them.

    And Chadam, that's horrible. T_T
    Stupid petTARDS!!!!!!!!
    November 27th, 2008 at 04:27pm
  • LiL_McR_FaN

    LiL_McR_FaN (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    Awwwwww poor crab. When she put that crab in a cup, i would have told her what for!
    November 27th, 2008 at 03:26pm
  • Venomous.

    Venomous. (300)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Australia
    Not a single goldfish I've bought from a pet store has survived. (The fish I buy from actually aquariums are doing fine. Go figure).
    November 27th, 2008 at 06:52am
  • auteur aspirant

    auteur aspirant (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    102
    Location:
    United States
    I actually went to petsmart today. Now I don't feel bad about not buying anything.
    November 27th, 2008 at 06:30am
  • SRAKKUNE.

    SRAKKUNE. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Location:
    United States
    that's awful.
    November 27th, 2008 at 06:11am
  • ciao bella.

    ciao bella. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I agree. I went to Petsmart for my turtle, and they didn't know what kind he was! He's obviously a Florida cooter, but they all thought he was a red-eared slider. He doesn't even have red ears! Plus, they sell food with soy and wheat in it for turtles, and that interferes with their calcium absorbtion. They do leave plenty of dead fish in their tanks, too. We bought a fish once and it died before we got it home. We live less than 5 minutes from petsmart, so we know it wasn't our fault.
    November 27th, 2008 at 04:44am
  • Vicious.

    Vicious. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Lebanon
    Petsmart is awful. I got a leopard gecko from there and it died within 6 months. I heard from a breeder that the geckos that petsmart sell have a disease that they don't tell you about.
    November 27th, 2008 at 04:36am
  • rumbleroar

    rumbleroar (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Once when I went to Petsmart I was looking at the hamsters with my dad and one wasn't able to reach the water because it was to high up and when my dad told the salesgirl so she could lower it she just rolled her eyes and walked away. They also leave a lot of dead fish in their tanks. Beside that though I don't think there's anything wrong with the one near me. Though if you're going to be working with certain animals at a pet store it would be smart to have some knowledge of what you're working with and what kind of care they need.
    November 27th, 2008 at 04:33am
  • Doctor Barber

    Doctor Barber (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Petsmart is not good. NOT smart. They killed my dog bey accident, while causing my family a buttload of money to pay for the treatment. She was really sick so we took her to their clinic and they gave her a treatment that cost around 3000 dollars. However, it turned out they did the wrong thing, and she died.
    Plus, they sold me a defective hamster that was horribly mean and died not long after I bought it. But maybe that particular case was not their fault.
    That dog was my best friend.
    I will never shop their again.
    November 27th, 2008 at 03:57am
  • Soulmates Never Die

    Soulmates Never Die (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Slovenia
    Poor animals.
    Pet stores are know for not having the right conditions for animals all over the world.
    If I decide for a pet I never buy them from pet stores, I track down a breeder or an animal shelter, sure a pet from a breeder can be a bit more expencive then your usual pet store, but at least they know what they're doing and give you proper information first, as many don't like to put animals into the hands of people with no previous knowledge on how to keep the animal.
    November 27th, 2008 at 03:51am
  • Chasing Sunsets

    Chasing Sunsets (350)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Canada
    that's disgusting. Yes, i agree with you, petsmart is not smart with pets.
    November 27th, 2008 at 03:23am