Attacks And Bomb Blasts In Mumbai

Attacks And Bomb Blasts In Mumbai On the night of Wednesday, 26th November Mumbai, also known as Bombay, one of India's largest cities fell under attack. At least 80 people are confirmed dead so far, and the death toll may rise.

Men armed with grenades and other weapons and bomb blasts caused attacks all over the city in at least seven different locations, including bars, cinemas and hotels. Shots have even been fired at hospitals!

The most worrying of these co-ordinated attacks is the hostage situation which has taken place in one of the largest and most popular hotels in Mumbai, the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel [although the Taj Mahal itself is situated in the city of Agra]. It is the top hotel in Mumbai and a world heritage site, but earlier today shooting started in the lobby. Upper floors of the hotel are on fire, and since the hotel is incredibly old and made of wood, the fire is likely to spread quickly.

The attack on the Taj Hotel seems to be targeting British and American tourists, as was an attack on another large hotel. Once the hotels were raided people were asked to step forward if they had American or British passports and many have now been taken hostage. Reports also say some foreigners at the Taj Hotel have already died during the attack.
Gunfire broke out at the hotel, when the Anti-Terrorism Squan chief was shot in the chest three times and soon died. He was leading the operation to try and resolve the situation in the Taj Hotel.

The Army has been called in to help with the situation and firing is continuing within the Taj Hotel, which still has fire bellowing out the dome of it's roof, between the army, the anti-terrorism squad and the terrorists themselves.

So far two terrorists trying to escape from the scene on an attack have been shot, one killed and the other seriously wounded.

These 'high intensity bomb blasts' were reportedly heard for miles all through out the city and are reported to be caused by an Islamic terrorist group.

The very idea of this is horrific. Footage on the news shows chaos and blood on the streets.
A heritage building is being destroyed, some of Mumbai's biggest tourists spots have been attacked, not to mention the loss of many innocent lives. I fear for the safety of many Muslims living in the city, how will undoubtedly be blamed for the work of just a few sick people of the same religion. I have friends living in the city myself, and I hope that the situation is resolved as quickly as possible, before anymore lives are taken.

Latest articles