Greek Riots Cause Chaos

Greek Riots Cause Chaos Late Saturday night, police officers in Athens, Greece shot and killed a teenage boy. Allegedly the boy and a group of other teenagers had been attacking a police patrol car and the shot was fired as a mechanism of self defense.

After the death of this teenager, revolts and riots spread and began happening throughout Greece, mainly in Athens and Greece's second largest city, Thessaloniki. Self proclaimed anarchists were armed with bombs and set fire to buildings. Many stores and shops were severely damaged.

A rebellious group known as "The Known Unknowns" played a part in staging the riots. With the use of websites and text messages, members were able to quickly and effectively spread chaos throughout the city of Athens remarkably soon after the boy was shot. In Thessaloniki, young rioters did much of the same and took refuge within the gates of a University where police are not authorized to enter to reprimand the rioters for their dangerous behavior.

The riots raged on throughout Saturday night and into Sunday morning, with tension still high. Government officials are fearing more violence, and were very quick to condemn the shootings. Officials are especially concerned about violence erupting at a protest march supporting illegal immigrants Sunday.

The officer who shot the young teenage boy is currently suspended from work as an investigation is underway.

Latest articles