Propaganda Good or Bad? - Comments

  • Saccharose

    Saccharose (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    quick question
    how are condoms not the best products?
    i can understand alcohol and drugs {medication/diet pills, etc.}.
    but condoms not being a good product?
    May 10th, 2009 at 08:26pm
  • BrionnaxROCKETSHIP

    BrionnaxROCKETSHIP (1000)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Location:
    United States
    we have our differences in what is and isn't propaganda, and also the difference between good and bad. it was a good article and very interesting, but i agree with ashy92, try doing a little bit more research and it will be fabulous.

    but nice job :D
    January 18th, 2009 at 04:27am
  • ashy92

    ashy92 (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Ireland
    Hitler wasn't afraid of Jewish people, the main reason he hated them was because he was extremely jealous of them. To him, they were rich and had good jobs.
    Isn't part of the reason he hated Jews that a Jewish person got a place in the school he wanted to go to ahead of him?
    December 22nd, 2008 at 06:54pm
  • ashy92

    ashy92 (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Ireland
    Definition of propaganda from dictionary.com:
    information, ideas, or rumors deliberately spread widely to help or harm a person, group, movement, institution, nation, etc.
    Advertisers don't use propaganda, they use bias.
    Drugs aren't advertised, that's illegal.
    And, in my opinion, the Bible shouldn't be counted as propaganda. The bible isn't spreading bad ideas. :/
    Some constructive criticism: for your next article, you should do more research.
    =]
    December 22nd, 2008 at 06:52pm
  • xXxDeadlySilencexXx

    xXxDeadlySilencexXx (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Australia
    Propaganda is to be used to gain what you want, a means of manipulating those around you and far away to buy or do as you wish. Hitler was on famous person that used propaganda to get what he wanted, and that was for the fear of the jewish. Now Hilter was not all bad, he saved the German people from a depression and had many mechanical break throughs and he knew how to play the public to get what he wanted.

    Now don't take that the wrong way, just because Hitler is portrayed as bad does not make propaganda bad. It just depends how it is used
    December 20th, 2008 at 11:44am
  • Spanish Lullaby

    Spanish Lullaby (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I think your article was more about advertising. Propaganda is more about brainwashing. Advertising is more about product placement.
    December 19th, 2008 at 06:30pm
  • MaggAims2Live

    MaggAims2Live (865)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    You make a valid enough point. But I must grudgingly admit that propoganda and general advertisement are two different things. =/
    Sorry.
    But, good article. I don't think you were too biased. You weren't ranty or uninhibited, and didn't come off too strongly. I think that's an achievement in itsself, don't you, WOT?

    ♥MK
    December 18th, 2008 at 03:08am
  • Airi.

    Airi. (2240)

    :
    NaNoWriMo 2016
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    You've confused propaganda with advertising.
    To me propaganda can never be good. The whole idea behind propaganda is deception. If something has deception then it can't be good. The 'good' in propaganda will always be tainted somehow. Propaganda is manipulating someone.
    Also this article seems like just another reason to preach. Which to me is really annoying. I really dislike it when people preach about God in articles. The preaching of God belongs in journals not in articles.
    December 16th, 2008 at 08:17pm
  • Zed

    Zed (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    Propoganda isn't necessarily bad. I men, for instance, in Britain, during WWII, the government used propoganda and censorship everywhere; and though people, admittedly, were deceived, it gave them more of a fighting spirit. It helped people to believe that they could overcome the problems they were facing. And though quite a bit of it wasn't true, it worked, didn't it?? In the end.
    And yeah. You seem to be talking more about advertising. And I don't really think that it counts too much towards propoganda...I mean, I haven't seen any advertising that supports cigarettes being cool &c.
    But hey.
    December 16th, 2008 at 05:01pm
  • fool's paradise

    fool's paradise (1000)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    You're talking about advertising, not propaganda.

    And to me, this article just seemed like an excuse to preach.
    Which is really annoying.
    December 16th, 2008 at 03:01pm
  • hey jealousy.

    hey jealousy. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    Australia
    I don't think all propaganda is necessarily bad. For instance, advertisements telling you not to drink and drive could be considered propaganda, and I think that is in the best interests of everyone.
    December 16th, 2008 at 07:23am
  • No Regrets

    No Regrets (550)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I won't mention my thoughts on your opinions, but I will say you lacked clarity through organization. Maybe you should think more about general connotation of your words before you use them? Like... when most people think of propaganda they think of Soviet Russia and Nazi Germany. Not the Bible.

    Maybe this should have been something about influencing peoples' behavior? Just a thought.
    December 16th, 2008 at 06:35am
  • radical

    radical (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Canada
    I think you've confused propaganda with advertising.
    Propaganda is dissemination of information aimed at influencing the opinions or behaviors of large numbers of people. As opposed to impartially providing information, propaganda in its most basic sense presents information in order to influence its audience. Propaganda often presents facts selectively (thus lying by omission) to encourage a particular synthesis, or gives loaded messages in order to produce an emotional rather than rational response to the information presented.

    [Wiki Definition. Yeah, it's wiki, but atleast it's a source]

    Not general advertising.

    As for the Bible being good propaganda, to some people, it isn't.
    For example, Homosexuals are shunned, even condemmed in the Bible, tell me, how is this good?
    Do we want to teach our children that gay people go to hell?

    One last key point: What happened here?
    This article started off on a misconception of propanganda, and ended up preaching God!

    I was entirelly lost throught the most of it.

    Sincerly,
    Emmy
    December 16th, 2008 at 02:43am
  • Audrey T

    Audrey T (6730)

    :
    Admin
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    United States
    In my opinion, propaganda can never be good. The whole basis behind the idea of propaganda is deception. Anything seeded in deception cannot be good. Even if propaganda is used to create something 'good,' the good thing will always be tainted.
    December 16th, 2008 at 01:47am
  • Spiralling Shape

    Spiralling Shape (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Australia
    If I remember correctly, isn't propaganda lies and slander used to harm a person, group, idea, etc?
    I think you have confused your idea of propaganda and general advertising.
    Also, you should aim to make your articles as non-biased as possible. Many people who read this will not have a problem with your beliefs but will have a problem with your preaching. Try and use subtle persuasive techniques like alliteration, retorical questions, puns etc.

    And I think Mollirot has said the rest of what I wanted to say.
    December 16th, 2008 at 01:32am
  • wx12

    wx12 (10125)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    "but you really need to be careful what you post- some people are much meaner than I am and aren't as constructive about their criticism."

    and those people who leave nonconstructive, rude comments are banned =]
    December 16th, 2008 at 01:18am
  • Freaka.

    Freaka. (220)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    In my opinion propaganda is evil in all cases. I think what you're trying to say is that persuasive media can have both good and bad effects.
    Too preachy, and you aren't really giving two sides of a balenced argument. You're just saying "this is bad, this is good". You're forgetting that condoms have stopped the spread of disease since they were first invented, that for a very long time booze was safer to drink than water and that the bible also inspired the mass killings of millions of people.
    Think about your argument first. You clearly have an idea for this article, you just need more practise I think. Considering this is your first article, I think we should give you some leeway, but you really need to be careful what you post- some people are much meaner than I am and aren't as constructive about their criticism.
    Hope to see more from you in future.
    December 16th, 2008 at 12:43am
  • shannonymous.

    shannonymous. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I dont think you should bring God into an article when dealing with people's will.
    If we smoke and drink, it's our choices, not because we want to disobey God or anything.
    I also dont understand why condoms are bad. I guess I can get why you think alcohol is- but condoms are needed for safe sex, no matter what. if you stop the advertisement of safe sex, you're stopping the knowledge of safe sex.
    Propaganda isn't ever good, it's just persuading people to do something they've never thought of before willingly.
    December 16th, 2008 at 12:05am
  • wx12

    wx12 (10125)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I don't think propaganda can ever be good. Propaganda is construing facts to be biased towards one side. Even if they're your beliefs, the propaganda is still manipulating someone else.
    December 15th, 2008 at 11:45pm