Modernization Taking Over - Comments

  • I like your view and most of your points, but i just have to point out....

    Isn't this more of a journal entry than an article? I mean, it's not very factual, and it has lots and lots of opinions...

    I'm just saying. I honestly like your views and such, I whole-heartedly agree with most of them, but i think this belongs in your journal section, not the article section. no offense or anything....
    January 18th, 2009 at 09:44pm
  • Every country has bad times, the economical slump that we're in isn't by any means pleasant, but it's nothing that we weren't going to have to go through at some point.

    Every generation changes. Modernization as we percieve it is different from what people 50 years ago thought of, and will be different from what people 50 years from now will think of it as. Change happens, get over it.
    January 2nd, 2009 at 12:46am
  • It was supposed to be on the exaggerated side, and a little bit sarcastic. I didn't say everybody filed papers behind a desk, but a lot of people do, okay? And I didn't say it was [i]the[/i] worst economic slump we've ever been in. I said it was [b]one[/b] of them.
    December 27th, 2008 at 05:35pm
  • [i]we're in one of the worst economic slumps we've ever been in and the government is millions of dollars in debt.[/i]

    Um...wasn't the Great Depression the worst economical slump we've ever been in? We're just ina recession. It happens. It's really not that surprising. Just earlier tonight, my mom said this same exact thing happened in the 80's.

    To me, this article seemed a bit...dramatic. :/

    And about "hard labor," not everybody files papers in an office. My mother's fiance' does siding on houses, and does [i]physical labor.[/i] And even if he did do paperwork, how do you know it's not very important?

    Also, I haven't heard of that many people in America having to wear gas masks whenever they walk outside. I don't have to in my town. This seemed a bit exaggerated.
    December 27th, 2008 at 11:10am
  • I think this was a well written article. Although as we dicussed MK, I think that singing carols to get together and drink beer and have fun is not such a bad reason. I mean after all, you have seen and witnessed the activities in our neighborhood! :] Nice job!
    December 27th, 2008 at 09:16am
  • Maybe if she'd said "Bush Administration" it would have been more accurate. Although, i guess the american people were just as much to blame

    Gabe
    December 27th, 2008 at 08:45am
  • "Today, working hard is considered sitting at a desk all day and filing paper work for a living."

    It takes a full understanding of what the "filing paperwork" is doing. That paperwork might be very important to something.
    December 26th, 2008 at 06:58pm
  • [b]Iago-Disco[/b]:
    I think the point they were trying to get across is the author of this article was blaming it all on Bush. They were simply stating it isn't all Bush's fault. And in reality it's not all his fault. People need to stop blaming every single thing on Bush. He didn't do this single handedly.
    December 26th, 2008 at 05:59pm
  • Yes, she did write about something decent, but it wasn't presented very well.

    I won't repeat what everyone else said. That'll just be boring for you all to read.
    But this does have the basis to be a good article, with a good subject matter.
    December 26th, 2008 at 12:21pm
  • And wow, people, finally the girl writes an article on a decent thing and you disagree... man.

    There's battery trying to sound intelligent, and saying 'well it wasn't bush's fault, it's coz we're sending jobs overseas'.. *BEEEP* WRONG.
    The financial crisis was caused by a lack of regulation in the banking and finance sector. Now... who is in charge of regulating the financial sector...? BUSHIE!
    Yep, and his administration. But, because they are a conservative government, they prefer 'de-regulation'. Why? Becuase their greedy.
    So... TA-DAH... it was actually very much to do with the bush administration.

    And finally... to all those people saying that this should be a journal.. how about no.

    Have you ever read a newspaper before? Becuase they are full of Artilces.. right.. and those artilces are often full of OPINION... Duh!


    Gabe
    December 26th, 2008 at 09:03am
  • Fine Chine, what a fool.

    Just to clear something up... The Economy is the basis of our materialism. So.. well you know... caring about our economy is exactly what we've been doing, and thats the problem.
    The other thing i noticed was your complaint about higher gas prices. Well, the reason for the price increase is quite simple. Because we used so much of it in the past when it was cheap.

    Petrol reserves around the world are running out, and becuase the resource is finite, as the demand goes up, so does the price. The truth is we SHOULD have to pay that much for fuel, if not more (just to offset the damage it does to the enviroment.)


    I have to say though, aside from those small matters, i agree almost completely with this artilce. Over the last hundred years our society has sunk slowly deeper into the materialism morass, and we haven't stopped yet.

    And frankly speaking, i don't think we will until all the stuff we want now is no longer available. Which isn't really that far away, is it.

    Gabe
    December 26th, 2008 at 08:55am
  • I have to say I agree with most of it. People now a days compare each other by what they own or how many of what they have. It's ridiculous. I for one, had a wonderful Christmas (besides the few family situations...) and didn't get that many things. So what? I had fun with my family (the ones I like) and enjoyed spending time with them. Sure, I love the gifts but Im not going to complain that I didn't get this or that. It's stupid.
    Yea I know this wasn't about Christmas, just wanted to point out that even with the ten items I recieved, I was still happy. Maybe some of the world can help those, hopefully, and pull them out of there 'MOREMOREMORE' greed.
    December 26th, 2008 at 06:09am
  • I'm not going to repeat what others have said, but I do agree with a lot of it.

    But can I point out that the price of oil isn't rising because our paychecks are, it's rising because we're running out of oil and the oil we do have is getting harder and harder to extract.
    December 26th, 2008 at 04:26am
  • Wow. I cannot believe how blind and ignorant people are being these days. Honestly, do we have to blame every single thing that goes wrong in this country on Bush? The United State’s economic state is most certainly not George Bush’s fault. Yes, he does have a part in it, but we shouldn’t blame it all on him. These past 8 years have been full of disaster, like the hurricanes, 9/11, the war (which contrary to popular belief, we cannot just leave), and foreign dependence. The president doesn’t have ultimate control over everything; he isn’t a dictator. Of course, he could have made better decisions and done more to help, but a lot of this was inevitable.
    Second of all, Christmas is far more family based than a lot of people think it is. Speaking for my family, Christmas didn’t even happen this year. Yeah, my siblings and I got presents, but it certainly wasn’t Christmas due to family problems we’re having. It seems like Christmas has become this evil holiday of commercialism and lack of special emotion, but really, until you experience it without the apparently non-existent emotion, it isn’t the same. Commercialism isn’t changing anything, and like it or not, it isn’t going to go away.
    Third of all, I don’t mean to be a bitch, but this isn’t even an article. It’s full of opinions and it’s not focused, so you’re better off just putting this in your journal. Not to mention, I’ve already read about a hundred of similar articles.
    December 26th, 2008 at 04:13am
  • I do agree that SOME people are very materialistic, but I think you've taken it a bit too far. I only know a handful of people that are as bad as you say everyone is. You also may want to use more facts than opinions and organize a little more, it will definitly get your point across better
    December 26th, 2008 at 02:55am
  • i won't repeat what everyone else has said, but i did think this article was contradictory, and made claims which clearly have no factual basis, other than your opinion. it also seemed you deviated completely from the topic. it had nothing to do with modern improvements; this article read more like it was a cynical attack at consumerism, george bush and gas prices.
    December 26th, 2008 at 02:06am
  • Modernity has given you the medium in which to write this article.

    I don't think that I'll regurgitate what everyone else has said but this does have the roots of a brilliant article. You should plan a little bit, even writing topics to be covered and ticking them off as you go.

    It's not a bad article, per se, but you can never spend too much time apon an article. :)
    December 26th, 2008 at 12:17am
  • First of all, thanks to President Bush, we're in one of the worst economic slumps we've ever been in and the government is millions of dollars in debt.

    WRONG.
    December 26th, 2008 at 12:13am
  • Agreed with Battery.
    December 26th, 2008 at 12:07am
  • You do have some good points, however, your article was poorly organized. The few good points were lost in a gloomy cloud of poor writing and failed organization of thoughts.

    Might I suggest thinking through your article more and proofreading a bit more before posting?

    And I do think it's wrong of you to blame Bushie for the economic crisis. It's mostly because of our sending jobs overseas and corruption/greed within large businesses.

    Maybe you ought to stop listening to what your elders tell you and form your own opinions?
    December 25th, 2008 at 11:13pm