Two Sharks Sighted At Missing Man's Dive Spot

Two Sharks Sighted At Missing Man's Dive Spot Search coordinator, Sergeant Michael Wear stated a rescue boat and helicopter team both reported sightings of a large up to 14ft Great White shark in Warnbro Sound Bay, south of Perth.

Brian Guest, the missing man is believed to have been taken by a shark around 8km south of Rockingham, just outside of Perth, while snorkeling with a family member at seven am(WDT) this morning. Sources state that Guest, the father of three was a local banker who was both an avid diver and fisherman.

Sergeant Wear confirmed that a search had been covered up to four times on an area 32 miles (50km) out to sea to the edge of a reef that runs parallel to the coast. The reef area is known to have a large population of various species of shark. Australian waters are home to over 160 different species of shark with more than 100 able to found specifically in Western Australian waters.

Pieces of a wetsuit identified as being worn by Guest have been found near the scene of the attack.

"There were the two reports of a big shark that came back to us. Whether it was the same shark they saw and whether it was the shark that attacked Mr Guest, who knows?" Sergeant Wear stated in an interview with the media.

Guest's twenty-four year old son, Daniel Guest, is believed to have witnessed the shark attack on his father. Other witnesses reported sightings of fins in the water as well as large amounts of blood but this has yet to be verified.

"The gentleman and his son went snorkeling and weren't that far from the water's edge…He has heard his dad yell out…. He turned around and has actually seen the shark and has seen a heap of blood in the water….He immediately got to shore and raised the alarm", Sergeant Wear stated.

The surrounding beach was immediately closed upon notice of the possible shark in the vicinity. The 10km stretch of sand is a popular swimming and water sport destination.

Sergeant Kent, another official compiling the police report confirmed that Guest knew the dangers of the ocean and had spend "many, many years diving and fishing and (has) a very deep respect for the water and (he) knows the dangers of being in a water.

When asked if the Guest family wanted the shark hunted down and killed, Sergeant Kent was adamantly opposed. Searches continue for the missing man.

Latest articles