Bushfire Death Toll Reaches 181

Bushfire Death Toll Reaches 181 Tragic bushfires have devastated the state of Victoria, Australia, with 181 people now confirmed dead and police warning that the number could easily reach 300 in the next few days.

The bushfires, which have now been burning for almost three days, are the worst ever seen in Australia with the death toll reaching unprecedented numbers. Towns have been flattened, houses have been reduced to rubble and the state is in shock as the fires continue to rage across the state.

Although the confirmed toll is 181, hundreds of people are still missing. Fire crews and police have yet to search countless homes destroyed by the fires and the toll is expected to rise significantly as more and more bodies are found. Currently, most bodies have been found in cars from people trying to escape the blazes. 35 people have been lost in the town of Kinglake alone.

Over 750 homes have been destroyed in the fires. It is estimated that around 5000 people have been evacuated and most of them are now homeless. Many were forced to abandon their fire plans as the fires got out of control near by, not even having time to grab a few treasured possessions before being forced away.

Radio station 3AW is running 24 hour alerts and taking calls from those worried about their loved ones.

In addition to the number of dead, over 80 people have been hospitalised for burns and other injuries caused by the fires.

At least one fire has been deliberately lit by fire bugs, and many others are suspected to have been started the same way. Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has described the arsonists as ‘mass murderers’.

24 fires are still going and need to be contained.

Coles Supermarkets are also donating all profits from Friday’s business to the bushfire relief fund.

The bushfires are the worst in Australian history, and with high fire danger conditions predicted for later on in the week, it’s possible that they won’t ease up any time soon.

Latest articles