Five Years For Setting A Man On Fire

Five Years For Setting A Man On Fire Four Australian yougsters were sentenced to 5 years in prison for setting a 59 year old schizophrenic, Richard Plotkin on fire, leaving him severely burnt. The four men must serve a minimum of three years. The fifth member of the group will be sentenced at a later date.

A couple of months ago, they knocked on Plotkin's door in Rosebud, telling him that they were policemen. When Richard opened the door, they splashed him with gasoline. The other canister of gasoline was thrown into the house causing the fire. To save his own life, Plotkin must have jumped through the window. The fire gripped 60 percent of his body. Due to the attack he needed to have his eyelid removed and he'll probably lose his lips.

"Shocking, disgraceful and horrifying", were the words of judge Cotterell to describe the incident.

"In an act of cowardice you left Mr Plotkin to burn inside his own home", she added.

All five young men pleaded guilty. Combination of boredom and a need to goof around was the trigger that caused such disgracing act. The attackers received some serious threats since being in custody so they’ll serve a half or maybe all of their sentences in protective custody.

Latest articles