Wife of Zimbabwe Prime Minister Killed

Wife of  Zimbabwe Prime Minister Killed Friday evening the Prime Minister of Zimbabwe, Morgan Tsvangirai, and his wife Susan were in a head on car collision. The accident occurred on a two lane highway with heavy traffic in between the Minister's home town Buhera and the capital city of Harare.

Tsvangirai is currently recovering from minor head injuries, but in stable condition. His wife was unfortunately not so lucky. Tsvangirai's driver and political aide also had injuries.

Some foreign diplomats suspect that foul play could have been involved in the crash. Tsvangirai was a member of the political party the Movement For Democratic Change, which earned him enemies as well as rivals. Tsvangirai took office last month upon reaching an agreement with Zimbabwe's President, Robert Mugabe. Prior to this agreement, there were revolts and nearly 200 deaths, mainly of opposition (Tsvangirai) supporters.

The US ambassador to Zimbabwe is one of the skeptics about the cause of the car crash. "I'm skeptical about any motor vehicle accident in Zimbabwe involving an opposition figure. President Mugabe has a history of strange car accidents when someone lo and behold dies, it's sort of his M.O. of how they get rid of people they don't like."

However, Tsvangirai's fellow party members stated that they believed it was too early and too little had been investigated to assume that the car wreck was anything but an accident.

Tsvangirai and his wife married in the year of 1978. Since then, they have had six children together. As of now, information about her funeral arrangements and a specific cause of death are not known.

Latest articles