KKK Rally: White Power!

KKK Rally: White Power! This morning, small city Tupelo Mississippi was in the spotlight as the famous white supremacy group, the Ku Klux Klan, or KKK, held a rally outside the city courthouse. At first, Tupelo was very apprehensive about allowing the rally to be held, though the right to freedom of speech was brought up, which allowed the KKK to rally so long as they did so peacefully.

The city urged its citizens not to acknowledge the rally, though that didn't stop them. The last time the Klan made any major appearance was in the 1970's. They marched down main street with the United States National Guard protecting citizens on either side.

This time, however, the Klan were not as strong. Today, there might have been thirty members or less during the rally. The most violence they caused were yells of "White power" and any thinkable racial slur. They weren't quite taken as seriously, either. Tupelo's police officers surrounded them as curious onlookers walked by and observed. Most people laughed at the behavior of the Klan, while some came out to protest.

Signs and signs could be seen protesting the KKK. The peace marchers and Black Panthers could be found mingling and chanting among the crowd. If you watched from above, you could see two sections of people; white fists, pounding the air to the chant of "white power," while a rainbow of fists waved the middle finger in response with their own chant.

As the Klan began to leave, there was some excitement to where I was positioned. As the head Klansman was attempting to leave, he realized he locked his keys in his car, and actually busted in his windshield in order to drive off. A friend of mine picked up the glass and kept it in a grocery bag.

Isn't it funny how humanity, its opinions and the way it thinks, can evolve so much and still stay the same?

Latest articles