Digging Up Graves for the Sake of Curiosity - Comments

  • iluvgospel4eva

    iluvgospel4eva (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    102
    Location:
    United States
    When archaeologists go and dig up a grave like King Tut's, they are very careful. They don't disturb anything, and they are very respectful. And the only reason they do dig up the graves is because they want to learn about the past and how people lived back then. I find that very interesting.

    And I agree with Ljung. It's ignorant to say that we could have lived without knowing what you mentioned.

    And honestly, I wouldn't give a care if somebody dug up my grave. The Egyptians put the stuff in there because they thought that the items would go with the dead person to the "Afterlife". If they knew that didn't happen, I doubt they'd care if we looked at their artifacts, if they knew.

    And they don't, so all is well, right?? :))
    May 12th, 2009 at 07:39pm
  • kittycaterocker

    kittycaterocker (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    If we didn't learn about History we wouldn't know all of the things about Maths and Science that we do know that the Ancient Greeks and the Egyptians somehow, miraculously, figured out. There are things that ancient civilisations have learned (whether we know it or not) that were forgotten over time. We wouldn't ever have a chance of knowing these things unless we explored the past.

    If you've ever watched an archaeologist work you'd also know how careful they are with artefacts. They spend days or weeks cleaning items found in order to maintain their integrity and NOT damage them.

    In regards to disturbing their place of mourning: there's not exactly anyone left to mourn the people who lived thousands of years ago. People who admire them, perhaps, but no one who knew them, or who they knew, personally. Would you honestly care that a society of strangers didn't have a specific place to mourn your death even though they probably don't know how or when you died?


    Also, there were a few grammatical errors in your work, I noticed more towards the end. It'd be a good idea to re-read your work more meticulously before you post it.
    April 30th, 2009 at 11:36pm
  • vaporwave

    vaporwave (160)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Canada
    [i]I mean, is there any real reason why we have to know how these tombs were made? Is there a real reason why we need to know that the Earth is round? Is there a real reason to know what a plant is made out of? Do we have to know what is in the center of the Earth? No, we don’t really have to know any of this. We can live without knowing all of this.[/i]

    That's the most ignorent and air-headed thing I've ever heard. How can you not be interested in the world around you? I don't understand that at all. How can you go about your life without caring why something is? You aren't interested in people who lived thousands of years ago at all?

    If the study of science and history was never around, we would probably all be sacrificing goats to some non-existant diety this day. Humans are curious by nature.

    As for archeologists, they take so much care when they excavate. They do so to learn about what people were like all those years ago, and to find links between modern day and the past. If we knew nothing about the past, what would the future be?
    April 30th, 2009 at 09:12pm
  • Dreams.of.Someday

    Dreams.of.Someday (900)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    You have a great point.
    April 30th, 2009 at 03:39am
  • Light In The Tunnel

    Light In The Tunnel (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    That makes sense. However, I have one conflicting opinion: you list knowing that the world is round as something defined as curiosity, but that is important. Knowing it eliminated an unnecessary fear of falling off the edge, and an attempt in proving it led to the discovery of America.
    April 30th, 2009 at 02:28am
  • radical

    radical (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Canada
    Interesting, but more of a journal thing :3
    April 29th, 2009 at 11:59pm
  • Christelline

    Christelline (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I've never thought of archaeologists in that way, but now reading your article, it makes senes. Why should they be allowed to disturb someone's resting place because they are curious?

    Nice job.
    April 29th, 2009 at 11:42pm