Censorship - We Need A Change

Censorship - We Need A Change Censorship has been around since time began. From the time the Nazis burned books in a giant bonfire, to the time some schools banned Harry Potter books, censorship has been a problem. Do you think censorship is really helping our society? I’m here to prove those who do wrong! I believe censorship should be stopped immediately!

One of the most important reasons that we should no longer have censorship is that it conflicts with the first amendment. The founders of these United States believed we had basic rights such as freedom of press, speech, and religion. When a person becomes president, they sign that they promise to protect these rights, but censorship is taking away our right to free press. In 1991 Article 19 surveyed 77 countries, 67 of them said that people were detained for peacefully expressing opinions, 27 countries had people tortured, killed, or maltreated-some of these include China, Indonesia, Turkey, Somalia, and Ethiopia. In 1982, a student sued his school because of a book the administrator had banned. The courts decided that a school could not ban books because it was not ‘religiously right’ in their eyes. However they could ban books if they felt that it was not appropriate to the age group.

This brings us to my next subject. Children, who are the future of these states, don’t need protection from ‘wrong’ in books. I understand that parents don’t want their kids exposed to sex and violence, but according to journalist Charles Taylor "censorship of children and young adult books leave children ill prepared for their future as adults." Michael Massing says "our diverse society is deeply divided over questions on sexual morality, gun control, ext. Are minors morally corrupted, or energized and informed by rap? We as a society disagree." Wendy Kaminer says "the presumption that ‘bad’ speech directly causes ‘bad’ behavior and that the government officials should be empowered to distinguish good speech from bad is wrong." It is also proven that taking away books can cause kids to be more curious, and they will find ways to feed their minds. The way parents were trying to protect them from in the first place.

My next point is that censorship goes against American society which is imbued with individual liberty. Kids, who will one day run our society, learn from books, not only how to read, but how to act as adults. When we limit learning opportunities, we are restricting American society. By not exploring other thoughts, we can become stifled, if not exposed to new things, we will remain stagnant. Censoring books on a certain ideal could make those who believe in that ideal feel disenfranchised.

As you can see, censorship is hurting us! We read these books to learn and simply to have fun. More people should get involved with organizations such as the NCAC and the ALA and events like book banning week. Because if we don’t do something about it now, will we ever truly be free?

Latest articles