Millvina Dean - The Last Titanic Survivor Dies

Millvina Dean - The Last Titanic Survivor Dies Elizabeth Gladys Dean, better known as Millvina Dean, was only two months old when she and her family boarded the Titanic as third class passengers in 1912, immigrating to Kansas. She was the youngest passenger on board. Her father felt the Titanic collide with the iceberg that would sink it, and she, her mother, and her brother were soon safe in lifeboats.

As the years went by, the number of Titanic surviors (a little more than 700 people) decreased, and in October of 2006, following the death of Barbara West Dainton, Dean became the last living survivor of the Titanic tradgedy.

When she was in her seventies, she became involved in Titanic events. She appeared in numerous interviews, conventions, exhibits, documentaries, and shows on both the teleision and radio.

As Dean grew older, her health suffered, and she was placed in a care home. Her medical bills were increasingly high, and after breaking her hip, she was forced into selling her all of her family possessions and Titanic artifacts, mustering about $32,000 total.

On May 31, 2009, Millvina Dean died in a care hom in Ashurst, Hampshire. She lived to a ripe age of 97. The staff at the care home refused to comment on her death.

Latest articles