Diamonds From Human Remains?

Diamonds From Human Remains? Certainly there are some that would say their grandma is a real gem, but few know this term could be literal. After all who wouldn’t want a shiny reminder of their dearly beloved? What’s more, they even come in different colors. LifeGem™ is the first company to make it all possible.

“How does it work?” you may ask. It all starts in the cremation process. Carbon that is captured during partial cremation as a dark powder is heated up to create graphite. That graphite is then super pressurized to create diamonds. When this technology first came out an excess of Boron meant that they could only make blue LifeGem™ diamonds. However the process is now refined enough that they also offer diamonds in green, pink, yellow, clear, and red also. The whole process takes about six to nine months.

Even better is the fact that one body doesn’t produce just one diamond, so there’s no fighting over who gets the remains. In fact one human body can produce up to one hundred diamonds. This technology is not even limited to human remains but pets can be synthesized as well.

The only problem is the price tag. These synthesized diamonds can be even pricier then the real deal. USD 3,500 for a stone of about the size of a poppy seed (0.20 - 0.29 carat) to USD 19,999 for a diamond about the size of a small pea (0.90 - 0.99 carat). For many this is a small price to pay for a beautiful memento of their loved ones. Clearly given LifeGem ™ had revenue of over 7.5 million USD in 2007. That number is estimated to of risen by at least 15% in recent years.

While perhaps the idea of being turned into a diamond is a bit strange, for many it is a way to give the ones closest to them a lasting reminder. After all “Diamonds are forever.”

Latest articles