Pro Euthanasia

Pro Euthanasia Close your eyes and imagine that you are in a vegetable state and the pain is unbearable, and you can’t take it anymore. The state your brain is in won’t let you talk but lets you lay there in bed and absorb the pain. Medicines can only help for a little while, but it can’t take the pain away forever. What’s going in your head at this moment? Is there any thought of death or to continue on to live and bare the pain? If I were you, the thought of death would be in my thoughts all the time. Death won’t come to you until you speak, but how can you? You need someone to help you voice your choice. You need someone to save you from the pain through euthanasia.

There are two forms of euthanasia, voluntary (with consent) or involuntary (without consent). Voluntary is when a patient still had the mental capability to choose and involuntary is when another person chooses for them because of the deprivation of mental capability. Though, one thing for sure is, euthanasia is for the benefit of the human in pain by intentionally killing through the act of omission. If there’s no other cure for the disease a person has, do you really want someone in pain to suffer in tremendous amounts when you can help them through euthanasia?

A person in a vegetable state does not only suffer mentally or physically, but also emotionally. If you were in their place and all you could do is lay there in pain with no independence, depending on machines or people to survive - that would hurt you emotionally. It doesn’t mean that emotionally you’re crying about the pain, but you’re emotionally hurt because you have thoughts of being useless. To humans, that’s worse than the stinging pain you feel in your body. It all adds for you wanting to die and just be pain free. Wouldn’t you want to be pain free, be happy and the others around you to breathe easily knowing that you’re no longer in extreme pain?

There is an oath call the Hippocratic Oath, which was written between 400 and 300 B.C. The Oath states, “To please no one will I prescribe a deadly drug nor give advice which may cause his death.” Doctors have sworn to this oath, but sometimes rules are meant to be broken. Though here’s a thought, if you had to choose, whether you are the one in pain or your loved one is, would you stand there and watch them suffer or choose to consent for them to go for euthanasia? My choice if you ask me... I would choose euthanasia if there is no other cure for me or someone I love in pain.

Latest articles