Teen Sex a Killer? - Comments

  • Teens have been screwing since the beginning of time and puberty. Get over it, this is just another one of those 'scare them' tactics that uptight nutjobs make in order to scare kids into not having sex. 'Oh, and don't forget YOU'LL GO BLIND!!'
    August 12th, 2009 at 05:56am
  • The teens who were depressed may have turned to sex as an emotional stabilizer, as a way to prove to themselves that someone cared for them. I don't think that the act of actualyy having sex kills someone. Though, you know, I might be wrong...*wink wink*
    September 11th, 2008 at 09:24am
  • I honestly don't see how sex could cause depression.
    July 11th, 2008 at 12:13am
  • i smell some bullshit.
    June 15th, 2008 at 03:49am
  • Pure , pure propoganda from conservative nazis.
    Fucking malicious lies , all of it.
    June 14th, 2008 at 05:37pm
  • Wow, first its music causing kids to commit suicide now sex. Its pathetic how ignorance is growing nowadays.
    May 29th, 2008 at 01:44am
  • I've got to disagree with this... I think the media is just looking for something else to blame.
    Odds are the teenager is already depressed before they even have sex and just that a lot of depressed adolescents end up taking part in sexual intercourse, but the depression is not post-sex. And I believe it is more the thought of consiquence and how their parents would react to knowing they're sexually active that would add to the pile of stresses when they're having a hard point and drive them to kill themselves. But seriously, you can't blame suicide on something that's natural and instinctual. It's the more unnatural human-manipulation side of it that puts on the urge to commit suicide, such as consiquences and the fact that it's "wrong" and so on and so forth. But seriously, blaming sex for common suicide is just like blaming over-eating or lack thereof for suicide as well. But all in all, I think the real things to blame would be stuff like the media, and the parents. Now, I'm not hating on parents or anything, but it is their duty to teach their children how to make the right decisions by being supportively guiding their children in the right direction using understanding as opposed to being snappy and unapproachable when their kids do something wrong. But, sadly enough, no one knows how to raise their kids anymore because we're so horribly influenced by the media and taught to hate one another.
    That's my thoughts on it all.
    May 11th, 2008 at 10:08pm
  • It's as if adults don't want to be blamed for the teen depression.
    It happens; a majority of teens are (or have been) depressed.

    These people have just found a new thing to take the blame aside from themselves.
    Who's to say adults engagin g in sex aren't depressed too.
    April 28th, 2008 at 08:47pm
  • Just thinking more on it, i would say teen sex doesnt cause depression in teens, if they are already more depressed then it most likely will add to it, but not cause it
    March 30th, 2008 at 11:02pm
  • Ive been 'depressed' for 2 years now and have recently had sex... say 3 months ago i think and i know i definately wasnt ready and it ruined my relationship and i had to brake up with the boy because i couldnt handle it, I thought i was ready and i wasnt, its possible that 16 year olds arent equip to handle these decisions, the legal age in Aus. And that it should be highered, but unfortunately this would only provoke people too have it, the "rebels". Some people just do things because they are against the law.

    I only realised i wasn't ready after i had it though, i thought i was and the boy always asked me if i was ok, if i was sure. The reality was i just wasnt.
    March 30th, 2008 at 11:02pm
  • Of course theres gonna be a higher % of sexaully active people who attempt/commit suicide. 5 year olds aren't having sex and they don't even know what suicide is. We'll say 18 (bc it's the legal age) is the accepted age for sex, well I'll give leeway from age 12 and up for the suicide count.. well theres only about a 5 year impact on those percentages. God knows hows many people 20 and over are included in this count. This is stupid.
    February 2nd, 2008 at 04:23am
  • or maybe depressed girls are lost and lonely and think that sex might be the emotional stability they need to feel better. i think you are looking at this the wrong way.
    December 10th, 2007 at 02:04pm
  • Teenagers in our day and age are not more depressed than teenagers were 50 years ago. Its just more socially exceptable to be depressed. This is not necessarily a bad thing. 50 years ago just as many people were depressed, they just didn't admit to it.

    Premarital sex is also more socially exceptable. This also, is not necessarily a bad thing.

    sex doesn't cause depression. shitty events cause depression.

    end of story.
    December 2nd, 2007 at 11:28am
  • I actaully think that's really stupid. Teenagers are depressed because the age we live in causes us more stress, not the sex. The world is becoming more relaxed about exposing young people to images or insinuations about sex in pop culture. It doesn't mean it's just the sex, it may be a small factor but I think it's mainly the pressure of making our own, important choices - like GCSE options - so young in life.
    December 2nd, 2007 at 03:52am
  • Wow. I never realized that. Another reason I dont want to have sex right now. Thanks for publishing this. It really opened my eyes to more problems then aides and std's. Thanks!
    November 30th, 2007 at 08:23am
  • I agree with this part of the article more than any of the rest of it.

    "We need to take depression among the young very seriously." But it is a "disservice" to blame sexual activity and ignore "divorce, domestic violence, sexual abuse, substance abuse, lack of parental and community support and questions about sexual orientation,"
    November 29th, 2007 at 10:47pm
  • "But it is a "disservice" to blame sexual activity and ignore "divorce, domestic violence, sexual abuse, substance abuse, lack of parental and community support and questions about sexual orientation,' "

    I have to agree with this. These are major factors with depression in most cases. I have never heard of having sex/not having sex being a factor. That's just insane. I mean, I can see that some people may feel "uncool" or not attractive to others, but that doesn't necessarly mean that sex has to do with it. I am a virgin myself, I never had a boyfriend and I do get depressed. But I could honestly not really care about sex. I have other issues that led me to depression. Whoever did this study I think didn't really research it right. They could of at least looked at those people's backgrounds to see what other issues [such as those above] that could of led to why they were depressed. Because sex being an only factor is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.

    Edit:
    The only thing I can sex as being a factor as to people being pressured by it. They might have friends who have had sex or whatever, but that's the only thing I see. But other than that, I don't.
    November 29th, 2007 at 05:11am
  • I know this is really inappropriate, but hey, maybe the obesity rate will go down in kids if this whole sex thing becomes an epidemic... :-P
    Sorry, couldn't resist.
    November 29th, 2007 at 03:46am
  • I just read an article in Time saying that teenagers who have sex younger are less likely to be deliquents. It's hard to go on studies like this...
    November 28th, 2007 at 02:51am
  • I read that teenagers that have sex in an intimate relationship are less likely to become juvenile delinquents.
    November 27th, 2007 at 09:20am