It's Not Over, War Still Hurts

It's Not Over, War Still Hurts There is a Civil war raging in Africa’s Democratic Republic of Congo located in Central Africa at 0 00 N, 25 00 E. This war is part of an on going conflict that started in a country that boarders Congo called Rwanda. The Rwandan Genocide is a war known around the world that started between Hutu & Tutsi African ethnic groups and as it progressed got many other governments and people involved.

Genocide is a racial cleansing i.e. a mass wipe out of a specific ethnic group. The Hutu (being the largest ethnic group in Rwanda) made plans to wipe out the Tutsi (who where a minority but threatened the Hutu’s power) and as they started acting out on their plans it started the genocide. The Rwandan blood bath was formally drawn to an end in 1994 when Tutsi drove Hutu over the boarder into DRC, where they now reside as refugees. Congo’s leader was challenged, and the DRC was lead into a war of its own as racial conflict from this persisted. Even though troops have formally been withdrawn from engagement in these conflicts rebel groups continue to slaughter the public. Neighboring countries like Uganda have also began to participate in a war that looks like it's going to take over all of Africa.

Countries like China, France, the U.K. and the U.S., have all had outside participation through different funding. China has offered to involve its soldier to help win the war but only if the country promises it a share of its abundance in natural resource, some have sent peace keepers to stop the violence, or have created organizations to provide more medical funding, others like France provide more artillery, or like the U.K. help the community by providing educators.

All this is hardly enough these countries have beaten themselves down with this war and even if outside forces try to help it is up to the people who are involved in the war and who reside in those countries to put an end to the violence.

But these are harsh times even without war the people of these countries suffer from things like malnutrition and endemic diseases, with this added strain on the public, and the economy every thing grows worse and death tolls amongst the innocent sky rocket. As a result of this war many more people need medical care, but supplies and doctors run low. Many children are without families and are forced into the military at unimaginably low ages; 6, 7, 10 years old and they are rigorously trained to become vicious child killers.

The Congo is a very dangerous place to reside right now; everyone is at risk, not only are guns used as a weapon but gang rape on innocent citizens by certain military is at large. The abduction and abuse of women and minors occur as young as 10 months and in elders as old as 87. This leads to sex trafficking, slavery, and is a perverse form of torture raping with sharp/inanimate objects. It tears villages, homes and families apart not to mention the emotional scars it leaves on those who survive.

In addition to the people's suffering, the environment suffers as well, too many people are fleeing villages and becoming refugees and they must live off the land to survive. Deforestation is occurring rapidly because the people can survive no other way. Native animals to the region are also fading away as poaching rises in order to gain food.

A country that has the potential to be the richest in the world is in such a declined state it is truly sad. I don’t think anyone's plan will work to end this war but I do believe if outside countries stopped embezzling the war for the wrong reason (such as possibly obtaining oil or diamonds etc) then that could be a start.

Should we let things play out and see what happens? Just about every place in the world has had their civil war, is it Africa’s turn?

Still unnecessary suffering is wrong, I think that governments and people and outside groups should form an alliance, and create a plan, a movement, or strong hold for the innocent because right now it seems everyone is trying to run in a different direction when they need strong leadership, unity, and order.

More emphasis should also be put on education and protection for those who are educated. People in general but particularly young minds need to know about the world, and details of what’s going on with their country right now so that they can collectivity come to a solution instead of leaving it solely up to leaders. People need to understand and know their options and that they are the power of a nation, the future, and the change.

We all do pretty well because from day one we are told we can change everything and be anything, but what are the children of these countries growing up believing? That they would be turned into young soldiers? That they should live in fear of abduction? To end the conflict mass change needs to occur and sadly from the rate things are going. I think it might not truly be over even 50 years from now. The war officially ended in 2003 but conflict is still at large. We had a Civil war in America a long time ago but some effects are still barley fading away. Change has to start somewhere and it's with children and adults that push for a better future now, and the unity of many people with a goal of peace in mind. That is how this war will be brought to an end with hopefully less bloodshed than it would with the continued fighting.

We should all help in the solution by raising awareness or donating, it is up to them to pick themselves back up but every now and then we all need a little help. We are all human and we all live in one world if we are known to extend a helping hand then one day those who we have helped will extend one in return. But there is also a satisfaction in knowing you helped make a difference, that you helped make the world a friendlier place, for you and your family, and the children growing up in it.

So, will you make a difference?

Latest articles