Anti-Burqa Laws Possible in Europe

Anti-Burqa Laws Possible in Europe In a continuing trend throughout Europe, Belgium has joined the group of countries that have, or are considering passing laws against the head-wear of Islamic women.

Proponents argue that head coverings are a threat to not only safety, but allowing them is morally questionable. The head dresses allow people to go into public without showing their faces, making it possible to avoid identification if necessary.

Denis Ducarme, a leader of the Liberal Reformist movement, represents many of the key ideas behind the law with his rhetoric. He and the party believe "all people in public places must show their face. We must defend our values in the question of the freedom and the dignity of the woman." Many consider the Muslim tradition of the burqa to be oppressive, and demeaning to women. By allowing the burqa to be worn in public, Ducarme feels the Belgian government endorses the degradation of women.

Opponents of the law say it disguises the true motive behind such a ban, intolerance. Abdullah Bastin, a prominent Muslim politician in Belgium, believes the proposed law exists only because of prejudicial views surrounding Muslims. Bastin also states he believes the law will have adverse effects, and the number of women who wear burqas will increase out of rebellion because of the law.

Amnesty International, a human rights organization, says the ban would violate the religious rights and freedoms of the Muslim women living in Belgium. A representative of the organization stated "Women must not be compelled to wear a headscarf or veil, either by the state or by individuals; and it is wrong for them to be prohibited by law from wearing it."

Belgium is not alone in attempts to ban the head coverings. In the past, places such as Quebec and The Netherlands have discussed burqa bans. French lawmakers announced this week that they too have preliminary ideas of a burqa ban. A French spokesperson released a statement on the matter. "Face-covering veils must be totally forbidden in the whole public space because women's dignity is not divisible. The second principle, of course, everything must be done so that no one feels stigmatized because of one's faith and religion." The French constitution is known for protecting a secular government, and the country had previous issues with burqas. In 2008, a woman was refused citizenship because she chose to wear a burqa, and recently a man was denied citizenship because his wife wore a burqa.

The situation will soon play out in the law making bodies of each country, and potentially even the courts if constitutionality is brought into question as many expect. Within the countries, the ban is supported by multiple parties, and partisanship is not expected to stand in the way of the law passing.

Latest articles