Cinco De Mayo - Comments

  • One. Your article confused me out of my mind. You went to informing to almost like a whining thing? I thought the article was going to be on the history of Cinco De Mayo, not what you thought about racism.

    Two. I find it very offensive when people of the white race tries to rid of the oppression towards people of color, they may feel. One reason would be because they don't understand what the minority feels therefore I find it ignorant for someone to act like the minority shouldn't feel the way they do. (note that I'm talking about Americans)

    Three. There are lots of things behind the Mexican's not knowing much about their holiday that you don't seem to know (which I'm assuming because you don't seem to understand). In America the government system has a belief of assimilation of other races to the "American" race. Hence the reason why many school systems don't even teach Cinco De Mayo in the first place nor Kwanzaa. I could ask any black person if they knew what Kwanzaa was and nine times out of ten they wouldn't know. Do you know what it is off of the top of your head? Could you tell me the principles? Do you know how many principles their are? Most people couldn't answer that question. All we learn in the American school systems that is mandatory is American and/or European culture, history, traditions and etc.

    Four. The possible reason to teachers telling students to take off their shirts is because the people who DO know what Cinco De Mayo is might find it offensive. Sure the war that took place that established the holiday might have been between Mexico and France but American whites are usually a mixture of all of that and some more. The holiday also has nothing to do with America therefore wearing an American flag on the holiday could be looked at as opposing the Mexican pride which the holiday is created for, the showing of Mexican pride, not American. July fourth is not that hard to wait for. It would almost be like someone wearing a confederate flag shirt during black history month or a Nazi Germany flag shirt during Hanukkah. That's disrespectful in my eyes.
    November 16th, 2010 at 10:30pm
  • And about the dress code I think it really is foolish of authorities to think that taking this kind of measures will restrain racism from growing. I think (and forgive me if I'm wrong) that what creates racism is an ancient grudge held my immigrants inherited thru their parents. It was their parents (some children cross the border too, but I think that the influence of their parents is the main reason) who crossed the border as "mojados" and experienced the fear of being caught by "la migra".
    From the other part I think that (nothing personal) Americans are at some point are so proud of their country and forget that it was and is built over immigrant people. This people clearly want to keep their ways and Americans should be "flexible" to it, of course only if they follow the law while doing it.
    What they are doing to Mexicans and to Americans is violate their right of expressing themselves. They are already controlling their way of dressing and that I think is going too far.
    Its like if you asked all the emos of the country to stop wearing their style because it might cause public disturbance. Or if you told jews not to wear their kipá because it can be an object of controversy between other religions.
    I think that by taking this measure they are acting in a way that will even encourage more this kind of thinking.
    August 17th, 2010 at 09:38pm
  • Okay I feel very troubled by this. Hmmm how to say it? El Cinco de Mayo is not the most important celebration in Mexico. You don't even get free day for it. However I do understand why they celebrate it, it was a very important battle for Mexico since they defeated the French army.
    And no, Cinco de Mayo will never be compared to the celebration that is made on the night of the 16 of September. I might be a little ashamed to call "paisanos" to the people that forget what their history is and use it as an excuse to make a party. Then again we are mexicans and party is in our blood.
    August 17th, 2010 at 09:00pm
  • On Cinco De Mayo in my school they suspended a bunch of Mexican kids for wearing a Mexican flag. I think it's ridiculous, especially since it was Mexico's day.
    July 25th, 2010 at 05:34pm
  • Back when I was still in high school, I never liked Cinco De Mayo because of how most of the students were on that day. Some of us students who were tired of seeing the Mexican flags would were shirts with the American flag or the colors. No one ever got in trouble for wearing them not that I know of. It is the same with Mexican Independence day.

    I support the students who wore the American flag on the 5th of May.
    May 16th, 2010 at 06:41am
  • Some of the people commenting here are just stupid. An american flag has nothing to do with cinco de mayo. Obviously you were kind of irritated when you wrote this, so who cares if it is 'organized'. But anyway, I'm totally with you on this. I got into an argument the other day with, like, my entire biology class was saying i'm racist and rude. I don't see how that is even relevant though. But, I think it's just like someone wearing a mexican flag shirt in mexico on fourth of July. No one would care.

    Haha, and to let you know how stupid my class is they compared it to wearing kkk stuff on Martin Luther King Jr. Day. WTF, right?
    May 11th, 2010 at 06:16am
  • Ah I'm from the UK and I've never heard of Cinco de Mayo, therefore unbiased :]
    The kids should be able to wear whatever they like, and not be intimidated into leaving school for it, and your article seemed like a never ending, politically incorrect rant.
    But, after reading these comments, I now know what Cinco de Mayo is! Yay knowledge!
    May 10th, 2010 at 07:59pm
  • lol, yeah. we don't celebrate 5 de mayo in mexico... at all.
    we just get our classes suspended for that day, and sometimes in elementary schools, they do some sort of events, or something...but nothing really big.
    it doesnt represent our independence, AT ALL.
    mexican independence is celebrated in september 15-16... in the night between those two days.
    i dont really know where did americans got that idea that we celebrated 5 de mayo the way you do...
    but at least you celebrate it. :D
    in my personal opinion, i find it funny that americans use sombreros and eat burritos that day and stuff like that. i think you're mocking us in some kind of way, but i find it funny anyways.
    :P
    btw, i think we "celebrate" that day because we once defeated french people when they tried to invade us....
    xD
    Oh, and i'm 14 years old.
    May 10th, 2010 at 07:50pm
  • I wasn't quite sure what side you were trying to come from...Cinco de Mayo isn't very big, but Americans use it as a holiday to drink on, just like St. Patricks Day. Cinco de Mayo is the Mexican equivilant of Independence Day, so I'm not sure where you're going with this. My point is that we ARE supposted to be the "land of oppurtunity", so what happened there? If you didn' know, Mexico is a crappy place to be right now. It's economy is not good, crime, government, etc. is just not great there. People from Mexico (and more South American countries, not just Mexico) come here to find a new life and feed thir families. Sure, there's crime and drugs occasionally, but we already have that here. Do you have any idea how many illegal CANADIANS there are here? No one thinks about people from other countries that might be white or something because they look like everyone else. I'm in Arizona, so I know that my gardener might have been illegal for a while, but now he has a car, a license, a house, and a bank account, so I'm cool with that. He had the sweetest daughter and I'm happy he's able to provide for his family now. So, again, not sure what side you're taking here, but everyon should keep in mind that our ancestors didn't worry abut coming here legally or not. (Well, unless you're Native American like I am....) We get this possessive-entitlement thing going on that we don't deserve and it really makes me sad that people can be so cruel.
    May 10th, 2010 at 09:27am
  • BTW Spanish people are from Spain which is in Europe.

    Spain has nothing to do with Mexico.

    Also "colored" people? You are politically incorrect in that statement.
    May 10th, 2010 at 05:10am
  • Calm Down.

    The person wearing the shirt HONESTLY wanted the attention.

    You are an awful human being if you don't respect others culture and were they came from.

    I bet the kids who wore those shirts wanted to be disrespectful, or why did they choose that day to wear an American shirt?
    May 10th, 2010 at 05:05am
  • I live in LA.
    I forget what country i live in most of the time too );

    I figure, if they like celebrating cinco de mayo so much
    why aren't they still in mexico?
    May 10th, 2010 at 04:48am
  • the title is misleading. I'm English and I'd like to know more about Cinco de Mayo, but this article(?) is just a load of drivel. Try changing the title or making it a journal entry.
    May 9th, 2010 at 02:30pm
  • This is my school and I can not wait until this bull crap is over with.
    May 9th, 2010 at 09:57am
  • I needed a two-minute breather after reading this article. I've concluded that you're one of two things - a troll or an idiot.
    Primarily, I couldn't understand what side you were supporting. You shift from seeming to support the students who wore American flag shirts in one paragraph to trashing them in the next.
    Also, your 'article,' which was really more of an insanely biased op-ed than anything else, was ill-researched and ill-written. To my knowledge, at least one of the students wearing an American flag t-shirt was of Latino descent. There was no great act of protest or no great act of patriotism occurring here. It was a few regular teenage guys wearing whatever happened to be clean. Plus, your syntax and style were appalling.
    Your arguments were either ill-constructed or completely invalid. "England doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving"? What? Who's forcing people to celebrate Cinco de Mayo (also, learn2capitalize)? It's not mandated. That would be like mandating the celebration of Christmas. Completely idiotic. But of course there are plenty of people who choose to celebrate it of their own volition. Latinos are the largest minority in the country, and Mexicans are the largest subdivision of them.
    This article should be pulled.
    May 9th, 2010 at 07:56am
  • Alright, let's see. Cinco de Mayo is the Holiday for the Battle of Puebla, when the Mexican Army defeated the French one, considered the most powerful on Earth, on the hills outside of the city of Puebla (obviously) French general De Lorencez had openly shunned the Mexican Army's ability and went in ovoerconfident. Gral. Zaragoza and his men hid on top of the hills and overran them, even though they were outnumbered. Zaragoza would go on to appear on the 500 pesos bill for this accomplishent, even though the war was eventually won by France.

    Now, it is NOT a really major holiday in Mexico but everyone knows what it stands for, and a military parade is held on this date.

    The fact that an american wears his flag on this day would not offend a Mexican, since it's not an overly important holiday, if it wasn't for the recent racial tension between both countries.

    You have to put everything in context, it's not a matter of what did they do, it is about when did they decide to do it. And that's in the middle of a social movement regarding immigrant rights. It can be seen as a provocation if not an outright offense.

    I live in Mexico City BTW
    May 9th, 2010 at 02:20am
  • I agree with what you're saying...but the article was biased. If you wanted your point to come across clearer, you should have made it less biased.
    But otherwise I thought it was good and I thought what you had to say was right and well thought out.
    May 8th, 2010 at 11:36pm
  • Whether or not it's "disrespectful" to wear the American flag on Cinco de Mayo, it still should not be considered acceptable to try and dress code kids who wear it. I have a feeling that that's against the constitution, but don't get on me about that.
    May 8th, 2010 at 08:23pm
  • Cinco De Mayo is just the day when the war started between the France & Mexico. None of my family who lives in Mexico celebrates it; it's like America celebrating the day the Civil War started. But many of my "American" friends believe that Cinco De Mayo is Mexican independence day. That's not until 16 of September.

    The way I see it is that stereotypical Americans have taken yet another foreign holiday, without knowing its meaning, as an excuse to have giant sales and get drunk.
    May 8th, 2010 at 03:50pm
  • Your artical was good
    A little biased, but its fine
    my onnly problem is that u said in the repersation for blacks that blacks had no proof. This is not true. The gov't said (and wrote) that any black who fought in the cvil war was promised a mule 4 acres of lands. They never did get that. Plus it was completely off topic and shouldnt have been brought up (just saying)

    other than that it was a ok artical
    just a tad biased and off topic
    May 8th, 2010 at 08:02am