Feminist Manifesto

Feminist Manifesto I like to think of a woman as a lioness. If you've ever watched Animal Planet, you know those kitties are fiercer than Christian Siriano and can take down a gazelle in one go. There is something majestic and beautiful, yet totally frightening about a lioness; she is both sides of the coin. One minute she's licking a cub and the next she's swiping your face. They are perfectly capable of taking care of things on their own, and in the end, where there are no lionesses, there is no pride -- just a lonely male lion. (But without a male lion, the pride cannot go on. After all, it's pretty hard to impregnate yourself).

Is feminism embracing the inner lioness? Is not acknowledging a duality to femininity somehow a 'disgrace' to whatever the heck feminism is supposed to be? People have this idea in their minds of what a feminist is -- AKA a man-hating lesbian -- and even a lot of women don't consider themselves followers of the movement. But they should.

Feminism, in its simplest form, is the belief that women have the same social and political rights as men. This is nothing more than suffrage, property ownership, education, and so on and so forth. Cheris Kramare, co-editor of the Rutledge International Encyclopedia of Women, defines it as the radical notion that women are people too. Unfortunately, the world of 'third wave' feminism is a bit more complicated than any dictionary can explain, though many philosophers and activists have tried.

Mina Loy, in her own FEMINIST MANIFESTO, actually rejects the notion that women and men are equal. She says, "...be brave and deny at the outset that pathetic clap-trap war cry, 'Woman is the equal of man.' She is not." Loy also claims it's all about a power struggle, and in order to gain the upper hand, women must desexualize themselves to reach a role of power - "woman must destroy in herself the desire to be loved." Although she recognizes that some characteristics are feminine (and others are more masculine), she believed these characteristics must be removed from the female experience. I have to ask, what is the point if we can never hope to reach any kind of equality? Though part of me wonders if that's really what she's getting at.

There's this theme throughout feminism of abandoning perceived feminine weaknesses. Mary Wollenstencraft, in her infamous "Vindication on the Rights of Women," preaches intellect and its power (considering most women in this time were not educated in the same subjects as men). However, as she persuades women to develop a strength of the mind and the body, she also views "soft phrases, susceptibility of the heart, and refinement of taste" as being synonymous with "epithets of weakness." This mirrors the stereotypical mindset of third wave feminism to defy tradition as you will, but those who don't are weak/anti-feminist and have somehow failed to reach their potential.

Second wave feminists took their desire for equality to a point of burning bras, chopping hair, and essentially reinforcing the idea that femininity is somehow not good enough. Frankly, this historical motif is ridiculous. The inherent strength of all women is easily seen through centuries of what Howard Zinn called 'intimate oppression' (I prefer intimate slavery), from the women who suffered through it in silence to those who challenged the traditional gender roles of their time. Looking through historical record, one thing is clear: feminism is not a 19th century invention! Women have an incredibly inherent strength inside of them, lying in wait until it is needed.

All women should take a leaf from French feminist philosopher, Simone de Beauvoir. In her 1949 book, The Second Sex, by breaking down and analyzing the detailed history of feminine oppression, she introduces a brand of feminism inundated with some good old existentialist philosophy. Womanhood can only be defined by the individual woman -- it means nothing special to be a woman until we, as individuals, bring meaning to the term through our personal experiences. One aspect I'm particularly fond of is her focus on women as 'the Other.' Unlike those before and even after her, de Beauvoir chastises women for considering perceived feminine traits or femininity itself as somehow weak or lacking. Sure, women and men are two categories for a reason, but there is nothing 'different' (she says different implies somehow abnormal) about being a woman. Everything about femininity is natural. In striving to emulate maleness as a substitute for normalcy, we betray ourselves.

Feminism in 21st century society, above all, should be an emphasis on choice. In bringing a unique and personal meaning to feminism means recognizing others' right to do the exact same thing. Every woman, not just in America or civilized countries, should be able to harness this special gift and create a positive meaning of their own womanhood. Sadly, there are women around the world who are stuck in a society which doesn't value them and leaves them no choice.

I could honestly rant forever about the injustices women face in foreign countries and even here at home. There is not enough space anywhere for all the words in my heart about feminism in general. All women should think of themselves as feminists, and all women should respect the choices of their peers in how they live their lives.

Me? To be honest, I'm not completely sure how it is I want to live my life. I do know for sure that regardless of where I am, what I'm doing, or who I become, I will always champion not only the rights of women where I live, but also around the world. Some have criticized me in my pursuit, and some have praised me, but no words will ever sway me from my fierce determination to see that all women have a voice.

I AM WOMAN, HEAR ME ROAR.

Sources

Half the Sky Movement
Global Issues

The Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir
Vindication on the Rights of Women by Mary Wollstonecraft
Feminist Manifesto by Mina Loy
Are Men Necessary?: When Sexes Collide by Maureen Dowd

Latest articles