President May Get Internet 'Kill Switch' - Comments

  • For those of you freaking out about the fact I used Daily Mail and FOXNews as sources:
    I only acknowledged them because I found quotes within their articles I wanted to use. I had read other articles on this topic through other news websites as well.
    June 25th, 2010 at 03:31am
  • and anyway, shouldn't Tim Berners-Lee be the one to be given a "kill switch", if it's at all possible?
    June 25th, 2010 at 01:47am
  • I honestly have a hard time taking the Daily Mail seriously, however, if this IS true, it's definitely a double edged sword.

    I do not like it one bit. No
    June 25th, 2010 at 01:46am
  • I agree with [b]cosmic love[/b]. The planet would explode...possibly.
    June 25th, 2010 at 12:39am
  • Oh, and don't trust Daily Mail OR Fox News.
    They are both crap.
    June 24th, 2010 at 11:14pm
  • Don't get me wrong, I love President Obama.
    But, I think it is a very idiotic idea to shut down the internet. If he does, we may never find a cure for cancer. We would never be able to go on Mibba.... *Shudder*
    June 24th, 2010 at 11:13pm
  • We're fucked, basically.
    June 24th, 2010 at 10:52pm
  • I'm so glad I moved away from that place when I had the chance...
    June 24th, 2010 at 10:25pm
  • I was for Obama, but his intentions are meant to be good, but they seem like they're not. And, I think killing the internet wouldn't work. Maybe it will, who the hell knows.

    And, yeah. I agree with [b]cosmic love[/b]. The USA will snap and we will start to go crazy. We already are with this stupid recession and oil spill. All we need is another terroist attack , the internet being shut down and him raising gas prices up.

    How lovely.
    June 24th, 2010 at 10:23pm
  • v ignore that comment.
    June 24th, 2010 at 10:15pm
  • Ahaha, sucks to be you guys (;
    June 24th, 2010 at 10:12pm
  • Yeah, I don't think this would really work. People would still be able to get to the internet if they had decent hacking skills. And if there's some way terrorists can get at important information through the web, really you need to be removing the ability for that access, not the technology itself. e.g. don't store important documents on a computer linked to a network.

    Just glad I don't live in the USA.
    June 24th, 2010 at 09:24pm
  • number one: don't trust the Daily Mail.
    number two: pardon me, but this is bullshit. if Obama shut down the internet, the planet would go apeshit.
    June 24th, 2010 at 08:48pm
  • ...lame noob question - how is 'shutting down the Internet' even possible?... On the other note, since this is possible, even giving president that 'big, red button' wouldn't help. If there is a way to create that button, there's a way to hack it, too. That 'national threat' you'd be trying to avoid would take your own weapon and use it against you. And too much power? Like many people here have said, the president is grown up enough not to blow other countries up with all the nukes he has control over, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't go around switching the Net off just 'cause he feels like it. Still, in my opinion, it's a pretty stupid idea. Sorry for horrific english ^^'.
    June 24th, 2010 at 08:38pm
  • [b]@destroybetter[/b] Nuclear weapons are weapons of mass destruction, created solely for the purpose of war, and when used, would (hopefully) be dropped in a different country if, God forbid, they were ever used. The internet is not a tool of warfare, and is used for communication, transactions, and various other things to the point where it seems to be the backbone of American society.

    Detonating a nuclear bomb in another country would have no negative effect on the American people. We learned that from Hiroshima and Nagasaki at the end of WW2. However, shutting down the internet would cause mass hysteria. Remember how people were freaking out about Y2K? That was ten years ago. Imagine what it would be like now.
    June 24th, 2010 at 08:00pm
  • There is a thing called nuclear weapons and nukes that president has control over, too . I am pretty sure those are more harmful than shutting down the Internet. If we can trust the president not to bomb every single country we have an issue with, I think we can trust the president not to just shut off our Internet permanently. Also, there are some countries that will try to go into our information and shutting off the Internet is essential to avoid a national crisis. I'm for it.
    Also to Kurt Hummel! if you think this is an example of socialism, you need to study politics a bit more.
    June 24th, 2010 at 04:09pm
  • Its a little ironic, because the basic argument I am getting from this is: do we give our president the power to control the internet, or do we not and then cross our fingers and pray that one of our enemies doesn't somehow find a way to control the internet. I mean imagine if the next big terrorist act is exactly that, controlling our internet somehow and we have decided not to give the president that kind of power. Then the cold hard truth would be that we refused to give the president the power and in doing so, accidentally gave our enemies the power because we have no control.
    June 24th, 2010 at 10:17am
  • So, if some enemy of ours tries to create a national crisis through the Internet, we're screwed. If the president shuts down the Internet, we're all gonna freak the hell out anyways. (Including me. >.>) But really, if it's to prevent something really bad from happening, I don't think it's a bad idea. But the thought of someone actually being able to do that is kinda freaky in itself, because like it or not, we all need the Internet in some sort of way. Whether it's for work, or news, or school, or keeping in touch with loved ones or anything.

    The thought of Obama pushing a giant red button to shut down the Internet is kind've funny, though.
    June 24th, 2010 at 08:34am
  • Yay socialism.
    June 24th, 2010 at 08:05am
  • I believe giving him this much power is a crime. You could be working on a project and BOOM! no internet, that is very stupid. If you give him this power a lot of people will have a lot to say. It is frightening, because I use the internet often and I will not stand for this, If they pass this bill.
    June 24th, 2010 at 06:57am