Hostage Drama Shakes the Philippines

Hostage Drama Shakes the Philippines Mendoza, 55, was one of the top officers in the country in 1986, but he was later discharged from his position as chief of Mobile Patrol Unit last 2008 for his involvement in drug-related crimes and extortion. Police believe that he hijacked the tourist bus on its way to Rizal Park, to reinstate his position and to fast-track the review of his administrative case.

The former-police posted notes on the bus' window saying, "Big mistake to correct a big wrong decision," and "Big deal will start after 3 P.M. today." Mendoza, then armed with an M-16 rifle and still in his service uniform, was sent a letter from the ombudsman. The content of the letter was not revealed. But nevertheless, Mendoza freed nine tourists by 3 P.M., leaving fifteen passengers behind. Negotiation soon followed through a phone line hooked on the bus, and was led by Superintendent Orlando Yerba and Chief Inspector Romeo Salvador, also assisted by news reporter Erwin Tulfo.

But negotiations did not go as planned. He demanded a signed promise that his case would be reviewed, but it was delayed and he claimed it to be insufficient. Matters got worse when the hostage taker's brother, Senior Police Officer 2 Gregorio Mendoza, then in civillian attire and also participant of the failed negotiation was arrested by the police for bringing a firearm to the scene without the police's consent. This move was believed to have set off Mendoza's rage, resulting in gunfire being heard inside the bus as warning shots.

A few minutes later, the driver of the bus, Alberto Lubang, escaped from the driver's side window despite being handcuffed to his seat. He claimed that all the passengers were dead.

Upon hearing this, the assault team started coming in, accompanied by police patrol cars and ambulances. They tried to break through the windshield, windows and the door, but with the lack of equipment, they failed. Eventually, the emergency door at the back of the bus was successfully opened, but they could not attack because Mendoza was firing off at the S.W.A.T. team.

Tear gas was thrown into one of the windows, causing the hostage taker to back up into the door of the bus, where he was shot by one of the snipers, killing him instantly. Rescuers and paramedics immediately pulled out the rest of the hostages, nine of which were sent to different hospitals. Unfortunately, seven were not lucky to survive.

The aftermath was a bloody, bullet-ridded bus and a damaged reputation for the country. Philippine National Police admitted that they have made a few mistakes during the whole crisis and their assault team is unpracticed, but nevertheless, they succeeded in taking down the hostage taker before too many lives were lost.

The Philippine government and community offers their deepest condolences to the families of the victims.

Latest articles