Christchurch, New Zealand, hit by massive earthquake

Christchurch, New Zealand, hit by massive earthquake This is being written around 6.30pm on the 4th of September and may not involve any current updates.

On the fourth of September, at 4:35am, an earthquake with magnitude of 7.1 hit the area of Canterbury, New Zealand. The earthquake’s epicentre was in the town of Darfield, which is about 45.5 kilometres from Christchurch, the main city of Canterbury, and the second largest city in New Zealand.

No casualties have been reported so far, but there have been two serious injuries. Two men, both in their 50s, are in intensive care – one has had a chimney fall on him, the other has been injured by broken glass.

The Christchurch city centre has been closed off, as there is substantial damage to the buildings. Mayor Bob Parker says the damage will cost billions to clean up, and has asked Prime Minister John Key for all the help Christchurch can get.

Electricity is slowly being restored to the city, as it was knocked out in most parts of Canterbury, shortly after the initial quake. The earthquake has been followed by over twenty aftershocks, some reaching a magnitude of 5.7.

Police are currently searching through the rubble with dogs, to see if they can find any survivors or casualties. People have been rescued out of lifts and stairwells. There have been mild cases of looting around shops, but the police have stopped that.

A building has burst into flames in the centre of Christchurch, officials say as a result of electricity fuses being jolted back on.

Sewer pipes have been bursting and affecting water supplies. Roads and railway lines have been damaged, limiting travel. The main university in Christchurch – University of Canterbury – is closed for a week, as it has taken a hard hit.

Food and water are scarce, as supermarkets have also been hit hard by the earthquake. Certain supermarkets have created makeshift stalls outside the shops, selling basic food items, such as bread, accepting only cash. Deliveries of such basics to Christchurch have been cut short also. Residents are stocking up food and water.

“There would not be a house or a family in our city that has not in some way had damage done to their person and or their property,” Bob Parker, Mayor of Christchurch, has said.

Sources: 1, 2, 1 News (New Zealand), 3 News (New Zealand)

Latest articles