Pastor Provokes International Outrage - Comments

  • SeeMyEvil

    SeeMyEvil (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I think we should look at ourselves for backing Islam into a corner for hundreds and hundreds of years. Right back to the Crusades when Roman Catholics went to the Holy Land (ie: Palestine/Israel) to restore it to Christian faith and basically to stamp out Islam. The Crusades were horrific and terrible and thousands of people died over the space of 200 years while the Catholics were there. This kind of persecution has carried on throughout history. The white man was on TOP. For reference to the Crusades, all you need to know is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusades#Middle_Eastern_situation

    Inevitably, these people will fight back and yes they WILL shout the loudest because our society has been so oppressive of Islam and other religions which were actually "here first" if you will. So of course you are going to get incidents like 9/11 and 7/7. I am in no way at condoning this because I too believe that it is disgusting what these extremist Muslims did. Theses too were horrific incidents just like the Crusades. But what I'm saying is that we all have to look at what we did FIRST.

    And Muslim hate only really came into its own after 9/11 when George Bush ingeniously (NOT) used the phrase "War on Terror". So everyone started hating Muslims just by association. This Pastor was foolish and thank goodness he isn't going to be let in Britain ever, because he is a *very* stupid old man - coming back to what everyone was saying about endangering troops and such. Very bad. But he is everything the white man represents to Islam. Everything. And it only serves to support the extremist Muslim's perception of the Western world ten-fold.

    Nothing will solve this gulf between faiths, because of what our ancestors did to each other we now have to take the blame whether we are blameless or not.
    January 25th, 2011 at 04:39pm
  • Saccharose

    Saccharose (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    United States
    you want to come live over here and observe for yourself?

    i didn't say all. i said those in the theocratic countries themselves. and i didn't say all of them either. those are the same ones coming to other countries and trying to get them to bow down to the violent aspects from the culture of the countries they fled.
    most don't even want to speak the language in whichever country they are in.
    most want to keep the pieces of their culture that does not coincide with whichever country they are in. for good reason. they want that country to adjust to them instead of they themselves adjusting to their new adoptive country.
    ________
    of course there are plenty of other cultures that don't like Americans but they aren't getting this loud. i'm not teaching anyone to hate anything and i don't like how you say i'm not a true american. i didn't say to not let them follow their religion as they so please. i didn't even address that part at all. it's a free country.
    the ones i'm talking about are the ones that want their perversion of islam, which also includes it's own establishment of government (Sharia Law), in the countries they claim asylum in. they are seriously pushing for it over here. it is rather scary. sure others speak out but they just end up with targets on their backs too. they hurt their own people. it's a lose-lose.
    October 18th, 2010 at 01:53am
  • not here anymore

    not here anymore (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Sounds like this guy has friends in the Westboro Baptist Church, lol.


    [b]HANSEL graey[/b]
    Yeah, he has the right to free speech and all, but so does the President. Just because he is the president doesn't mean he can express his disapproval of what Pastor Jones is about to do. And there is nothing wrong with him pleading with Jones to stop. He didn't force him to, nor did he ban him from doing it. He made a completely rational, understandable request. I thank the President for standing up for what is right.
    And yeah, he's expressing his views but his views are putting our troops in danger and that is not acceptable. It's one thing to say how you feel but it's quite another to put on a demonstration that could harm other people.
    No, the way they're reacting is not how they should. It shouldn't be a danger for our troops, but the fact remains that it is. It's how their people are and if we want our troops to stay as safe as they possibly can in such a dangerous environment, we should NOT hold blatantly disrespectful demonstrations that piss them off. The Islamic religion is a peaceful religion in itself, but obviously there are those who practice it, like extremists, who tend not to be and burning their holy book will only rile them up to the point of violence.

    [b]MaryJanes[/b]
    Ever hear the saying "two wrongs don't make a right"?
    Simply because thats how they react and simply because that's what THEY do, doesn't mean we should sink to their level. In fact, it means we SHOULD NOT sink to their level. I'm not saying anything against Muslims, but I know that in America, we have the common ideals not to sink to that disgusting level.
    Do I approve of them burning Bibles? No, but I will not condone Jones' actions because of irrational, three-year-old reasoning like that.

    [b]koosh balls[/b]
    The fact that you're overseas may make you prejudiced, but seriously, get over it. I have no tolerance for prejudiced people. Not one bit. The entire people are not "savages" and I am SURE you can find plenty other cultures where people react violently to Christianity or to Americans.
    If you wanna teach your children to hate Muslims, go ahead, but I feel sorry for the life they'll live because of it.
    You wanna talk about them respecting America, why don't you start acting like an American. America is supposed to be a land of freedom and equality and tolerance. I'm sure a true American would not limit those ideals to the people in this country but extend it to every one in every country.

    [b]NikkiChristi[/b]
    Thank you very much for that. I was going to say a lot of the same things.
    October 10th, 2010 at 10:05pm
  • NikkiChristi

    NikkiChristi (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Unfortunately for us (Americans) the last decade has been full of horrible foreign policy decisions that are going to take quite some time to reverse. There is not a way, at this point , that we can simply withdraw all our middle eastern troops at one time, and safely. As far as the pastor and his ignorance is concerned, he is an example if what Christians should strive not to be. And I'm not sure exactly who said it, but in their comment someone mentioned that Christians have a history of being homophobes and not supporting women's rights. That is an untrue statement and shows just how much that person truly understands of Christianity. Never, not in the old testament or new does it say that it is ok to bash gay people and make their lives a living hell. It never gives the go ahead to treat homosexuals like anything other than God's children. He (God) said he doesnt like it, and thats as far as it goes.And the idea of denying support for women's rights is complete bullshit. I don't know where that idea came from because there is no evidence to support it. All of that stuff was concocted by individuals driven by hate and has nothing to do with true Christianity. I don't mean to preach, but some people need to do some research before they make claims about whole religions.
    September 27th, 2010 at 03:55am
  • Saccharose

    Saccharose (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    United States
    "No matter what religion, there WILL be extremists."

    and the winner for the religion that screams the loudest with the most (extremists) is
    ...
    Islam
    so what? are we just going to bend over and wait for the next screw over?
    i sure as all get out hope i'm dead before it happens.
    in middle eastern countries they are taught to hate americans, and especially christians. they are teaching this to their own children.
    September 25th, 2010 at 02:39am
  • cantcatchabreak88

    cantcatchabreak88 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I understand that he has every right to do whatever he feels the need to do, but when he does something or threatens to do something that will endanger our troops, something is wrong. His complete ignorance of the problem he has created is outragous.
    September 22nd, 2010 at 06:53pm
  • Cupcakes.are.emo.2

    Cupcakes.are.emo.2 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    Forgot to add this:
    The First Amendment protects freedom of speech, yes, and to SOME degree Jones is protected, however, if he does burn the Qur'an, he isn't protected because that's like shouting FIRE in a crowded area, when there isn't a fire. If it causes panic (and/or riots, etc.), then it doesn't count. THe First Amendment projtects those, unless the Common Good is in danger.
    September 21st, 2010 at 04:18am
  • Cupcakes.are.emo.2

    Cupcakes.are.emo.2 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    No matter what religion, there WILL be extremists. I don't think he understands that the Qur'an is to Muslims what the Bible is to him and other Christians. And this is SERIOUSLY endangering our troops! If he had someone close to him, either a relative or church goer, he would realize the danger of what he's doing.
    September 21st, 2010 at 04:13am
  • Katie_Bugg

    Katie_Bugg (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Here's the thing: The radicals in the Islamic faith burn bibles every day. They murder Christians just because we are Christians. I don't believe in killing anyone because of their religion. God loves everyone the same even when they make bad decisions (like murdering innocent people). But in the Qua-ran it even says when you conquer a nation you either convert them to the Islamic faith or you kill them. How is that even right? Not all of them believe that though, which is what protects many people. So yeah, it is a bit extreme to burn their Qua-ran but how is it worse or even equal to what they've done to us (killing innocent Christians just because we are Christians or killing innocent Americans just because we are Americans).
    September 20th, 2010 at 12:52pm
  • cinderella.

    cinderella. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    Sick.
    Intolerance will get back at him in the end. What goes around, comes around. It's a shame, isn't it?
    Honestly. There are radicals in EVERY religion, not just the Islamic one, so for him to do that shows that he's an ignorant man, especially since he hasn't read it. No one is asking him to read it, and no one is asking him to burn it, either. That's disrespectful to the Muslim people.

    Also, he's incorrect. It's not a hate-driven religion. In fact, out of the most major religions in the world, from my understanding, Islam is the [i]most peaceful[/i]. So his opinion is based off of ignorance, therefore, it's invalid.

    What a shameful man, making a mockery out of his religion, and his country. Go ahead and give them another reason to hate America, Terry Jones; you brought it upon us all, and you shall pay for it in the end.

    Sick and twisted man, he is.
    September 20th, 2010 at 02:50am
  • Saccharose

    Saccharose (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    United States
    you can announce up and down all d-mn day to burn everybody's religious texts and the only followers that will act like the savages they are already perceived to be, so far, are the ones that follow islam.

    i mean, recently not an older account, a cartoonist has already got to go into hiding because the person "decided" to pretty much draw a target/death sentence onto themselves. then of course people whining that their tax dollars are going towards helping, but if people actually followed that case, it isn't true, they only helped for a short time and that person is paying for all of that themselves with help.

    they are the one chanting death to america
    burning my flag (i don't really care about the burning of the pastor's likeness, it was well deserved imo. he did that to himself)
    and long after this pastor dropped the so called event
    (it's not even international, i believe for it to be international it has to be two other churches in a different country participating. anyways...)
    it is still being reported that these people in theocratic countries are still in an uproar with their violent protests.
    it's been around two frickin' weeks now.

    and for those followers that don't speak out against this clear as day hate on americans and the USA, i have no choice but to group you all in to the same mindset as them. silence is in agreement. and they wonder why people are suspicious of anyone that "looks" the part.
    i used to be like whatever, it's just another religion i don't believe in (atheist).
    but now after seeing footage of these protests, i am not as blah as i used to be.
    i'm american, i'm overseas at the moment, and i don't like the fact that i now have a bigger target painted on my d-mn back because a group feels the need to act like savages over something that didn't even happen, but the intent of it still lingers as a fuel to their fire.
    already said it twice, but i'll just repeat it just a few more times
    savages, savages, SAVAGES

    -if you want to get on my case about what i posted you can take it up in a message, because i don't really check articles much anymore. thank you.
    September 20th, 2010 at 01:21am
  • auden

    auden (650)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    this the comic:
    http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm156/jjapogee/AtheistComic1.jpg
    September 19th, 2010 at 08:37pm
  • AFI34974

    AFI34974 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    Hansel :
    Christians can't either. BELIEVE ME, if I were to set up a a bible burning site right across the street, he would be beside himself. There's an old comic, where a Christian is beating an atheist over the head with a bible. When the atheist takes his cross and goes to break it over his knee, the Christian suddenly begs "Hey, How about having a little respect!"

    No, Christians certainly cannot take what they dish out to everyone else.
    September 19th, 2010 at 03:46pm
  • auden

    auden (650)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    HANSEL Graey:

    But what about what your army is doing in Iraq, wasn't he setting them up for more danger? It's true that was unconstitutional for your president to ask him not to express his views, but would your president have been right to just let the matter pass by him? America has freedom of speech, but also the freedom of religion and those who worship with the Qur'an would have been willing to defend their beliefs perhaps violently. And if there was a 'burn a bible' day I'm sure there would be uproar.

    When I lived in the US for two years I got really rude remarks for wearing a 'Bad Religion' shirt. It's a band but obviously their against religion. I got rude remarks yet people walking down the hall wearing "FCA" shirts and shirts with bible verses on them.

    I guess it depends on if you are talking to the understanding Christians or what.

    I don't think anyone can take a joke when it comes to what people believe in, passionately.


    Personally, I think this is all religion does: stir up shit.
    September 19th, 2010 at 06:16am
  • Hansel Graey

    Hansel Graey (280)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Burn the Qur'an. Burn the bible. The difference: Radical Muslims burned the American flag and threaten Terry Jones' life hundreds of times over this issue. It says a lot, especially as whenever anyone wants to poke fun at Muslims it seems as though it's wrong--but it's completely acceptable for Christians to be made fun of. Another good example of how unequal and wrong this is: South Park's censorship. How often has the bible, Jesus, God, and any Christian view been placed onto the pedestal as the butt of jokes? And are Christians rioting on the streets, threatening to kill the creators, and burning the flag? No.

    I feel that Clinton and Obama were being out of line. Of course they have every right to express their opinions, but they pleaded Jones to stop. They wanted him not to express his views, no matter how warped they are--which seems negligent of what this nation stands upon. His [Jones'] opinion also had a right to be heard, and his point was made. Never has there been a group that has been able to completely stifle American rights by using violence. I bet that if there ever was a 'burn a bible day' there wouldn't be this much of a headache. In fact, I bet it wouldn't even hit national news as this spectacle. How easily people forget about more problems in the world, such as the fact that many parts of the middle east still held riots after 9/11 this year, believing that the copies of Koran had been burned; the fire of this outrage and false fact fed from the Taliban as a reason to raise hate in the United States. Now, I do not see Jones as any hero, or--god forbid--a martyr. But he set an example and pointed out many things that I think need to be out in the open. And here it is bluntly: Muslims cannot take a joke, or cannot take any form of insult to their religion.
    September 19th, 2010 at 02:23am
  • vaporwave

    vaporwave (160)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Canada
    He just shames the name of comedic legend Terry Jones...
    September 19th, 2010 at 01:31am
  • auden

    auden (650)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    Well if it's okay to burn 100 copies of the Qur’an
    I'll just burn 100 copies of the Bible

    TAKE THAT PASTOR JONES

    (don't bash me, I'm joking)
    September 19th, 2010 at 12:25am
  • flyer.

    flyer. (850)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    The focus rather dramatically shifted in the last two paragraphs; I feel like if you had introduced that point/comparision between the Qur'an and US foreign policies earlier on in the piece it would have made a better/more comprehensible impact, since it seems to be the point you're trying to make. Otherwise, great article! Very informative, and good use of Obama's quote.
    September 18th, 2010 at 11:56pm