Chilean Miners Rescued

Chilean Miners Rescued On August 5, 2010, a group of thirty Chilean miners (aging from 23 to 63) became trapped after a mine collapsed. in San José de Copiapó. Dust clouds from the accident caused many miners to lose their eye sight for several hours, and left them with lingering eye irritation and burning.

Another group of miners, who were also present, were able to avoid escape safely. However, the main group of miners were left stranded for 69 days, leaving family members and people all over the world to worried about the men's' well-being.

After many failed attempts at escape, the men were subjected to more than two months of entrapment. Rescue attempts were made, yet every passage found was blocked. When it was apparent that the men wouldn't be reached fast enough, holes were drilled into the rock covering the exits in order to find the miners' exact location. Letters were sent between the miners, their rescuers, and their families. Once it was established that the men were doing well, rescue attempts were still under way.

Finally, after many weeks in isolation, Florencio Ávalos became the first man rescued on October 12. During the next seven hours, eight other miners were pulled out. Though the men suffer from illnesses, ranging from dental infections to pneumonia, all seem to be doing fairly well, and are expecting to make a full recovery. In total, thirty of the men have been rescued, and officials are expecting that the rest should be out by sunrise on Thursday, October 14, 2010.

Sources

Wikipedia
Netscape

Latest articles