Serial Rapist Receives Probation For Crimes

Serial Rapist Receives Probation For Crimes On November 10, 2010, more than a hundred people gathered outside of Manhattan Criminal Court to protest Judge Cassandra Mullen's decision to sentence serial rapist Tony Simmons to just ten months probation. Signs stating, 'Take Rape Seriously' and 'Rape is a Real Crime' were held as protesters rallied for an overturning of the judge's initial decision, demanding that Tony Simmons receive jail-time for his crimes against (at least) three young teenagers.

One victim, 20 year old Ashley who was attacked by Simmons in 2005, has spoken up and expressed her horror at the leniency in his sentence. Then just a young teen, Ashley was attacked and raped by Simmons as he transported her to a court hearing (she was on trial for falsifying a police report). Just moments after her rape, she was sentenced to twelve months in prison. At the time, she did not report the crime, too afraid that she wouldn't be considered a “credible” victim. "I knew I was just raped. I knew it wasn't supposed to happen," she recalled. "I didn't think anybody would believe me."

In 2008, along with two others, Ashley was finally able to press charges against her attacker for crimes ranging from rape to sodomy. On September 27, 2010, she thought she'd seen justice finally prevail upon hearing that Simmons had plead guilty for his crimes. “[Assitant District Attorney Vonsover] said, 'You should be so happy,'" Ashley said. "I'm thinking, 'Great. He's definitely going to jail.'" But a few days later, Ashley learned about the devastating details of Simmons' guilty plea and sentencing. “Ten years probation. I couldn’t believe it. It’s a disgustingly great unbalance.” She goes on to say, “I got 12 months for a falsified police report and he got probation for raping me and the others."

And many others fiercely share her disgust. Manhattan District Attorney Robert Morgenthau states, "It's outrageous. Here somebody who was supposed to be protecting them - helping them - is sexually abusing them. It's as bad as it gets." And Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance Jr. also called out Judge Mullen, calling her judgment an egregious breach of the public's trust.

Several organization for women's and victims' rights have come together to fight against Simmons' sentence. NOWNYC (National Organization for Women) have organize a protest for today, November 15th, in front of the New York City Civil Court – where Simmons will receive his official sentencing. NOW's protest is being sponsored by several other organizations like The New York City Alliance Against Sexual Assault and Equality Now (an organization devoted to protecting and promoting human rights of women all around the world).

The case of Tony Simmons and the young women he abused and sexually assaulted brings to light an issue that has mostly been pushed into the shadows and raises many issues with the court system: Was this case taken less seriously, was Simmons' punishment less severe, because his accusers have had trouble with the law in the past? As stated by Jane Manning, president of NOW, “I think the judge has fallen prey to the notion that these women matter less because these girls had been in trouble with the law.

Simmons' lenient sentencing only further victimizes these young girls (and many others like them). The implications and possible effects of this case on others like it can only be negative. How can we expect victims of sexual assault to come forward and help in the apprehension of their attacker, when the result could easily mirror this case?

*Follow Up:: Judge Reverses No-Jail Guilty Plea for Rape Crimes

Sources

  1. Protesters rip judge for letting multiple rapist Tony Simmons off with probation
  2. (NY Daily News, 11/2010)
  3. Worker faces rap in Manhattan Family Court building sex attacks
  4. (NY Daily News, 12/2008)
  5. Teen gets 12-month sentence for minor offense - and thug gets probation for raping her
  6. (NY Daily News, 10/2010)
  7. A predator walks: Letting child rapist off without prison time is an outrage in every way
  8. (NY Daily News 10/2010)
  9. Manhattan DA Vance rips judge's 'outrageously lenient' punishment for confessed rapist
  10. (NY Daily News, 09/2010)
  11. 2nd Rally to TAKE RAPE SERIOUSLY
  12. (NOWNYC.Org)

Latest articles