Gay Discrimination

Sexuality is a unique disposition to each individual, with people experiencing different levels of attraction to either sex. Since homosexuality was removed from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual as a mental disorder in 1973 (AGLP), the amount of individuals coming out and labelling themselves as same sex attracted has increased as homosexuality becomes more “normal” in society. Approximately 10% of the population now identify themselves as same sex attracted (Out Smarting Homophobia), a number that is constant across all cultures.

Although homosexuality is becoming “normalised” and is no longer seen as a mental disorder, there is still much controversy surrounding the topic, and many members of society still remain closed minded about the issue, causing a variety of problems that can result in horrendous consequences for same sex attracted individuals.

What types of discrimination are SSAI faced with?

The discrimination that same sex attracted individuals (SSAI) are faced with goes further then the verbal, physical and emotional abuse that many people believe is that SSAI are faced with. Legal, social, economical, financial, religious, and cultural discrimination are all perpetuated on a daily basis. There are also more subtle forms of discrimination that SSAI face as well, including internalised homophobia and heterosexism.

Discrimination and violence against SSAI are generalised into the category of homophobia, and homophobic hate crimes. Many SSAI are subject to physical and verbal abuse from work colleges, fellow students, family members and other relatives. On occasion, some incidents can be completely randomised, where the perpetrator and the victim have never had any contact with one another.

“Coming out” can cause the most problems for SSAI, as their attraction is out in the open, making them an easier target for homophobia. Abuse can often ensue as a poor reaction to a friend or family member coming out as homosexual or bisexual. Most cases of this abuse are verbal, with name calling being the predominant form of abuse.

“Stupid, sick poof, you are worthless to society, you are better off killing yourself.” Noah, 15 years

However, there are some individuals who are victimised and suffer physical abuse after coming out.

“I’ll never forget how he told me that God hates me… …I’ll never forget the feel of his fists beating against my body.” Aimee, 16 years

Institutionalised homophobia involves discrimination based around such things such as legal, social, cultural, financial and religious reasoning.

Legal discrimination is the most well publicised version of discrimination against SSAI, with marriage and adoption laws constantly in the news for rallies and reforms.

In Australia, only Western Australia, the Australian Capital Territory and New South Wales (Pride Source) allow same sex couples to legally adopt children. This issue has caused much controversy around the country, as political parties such as the Greens campaign for it to be legalised nationally as well as with same sex marriages, while other political parties such as Family First fight against it.

“Children in homosexual relationships are subject to emotional abuse, legitimising gay marriage is like legalising child abuse” Wendy Francis, Family First.

It is not currently legal for SSAI to engage in the act of holy matrimony in Australia. Beyond this, same sex marriages performed in other countries such as Canada and the Netherlands are not formally recognised in Australia.

Anti discrimination laws are also a very important way of minimising discrimination based on sexuality. The majority of countries globally offer at least protection for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer people.

In Australia, there is no federal law governing against discrimination based on sexuality. That job is left to state jurisdiction, resulting in a lack of unanimity as each state holds different laws. In South Australia, there is legislation against discrimination based on sexuality; however, religious groups are exempt from these laws, causing much discrimination to still be found in the state, predominantly from these religious groups.

50% of heterosexuals surveyed also said that if it came down to it, they would use another person’s sexuality as an insult if in an argument.

“If a homosexual happens to piss me off, yeah I’ll cut them down about their cock-sucking habits without so much as a second thought, but I wouldn’t do it unprovoked.” James, 18 years

What impacts is this discrimination having on SSAI in Australia?

“Homophobia doesn’t just impact on same sex attracted people – it could be family members or friends, and it prevents close relationships between men.” Naomi Hutchings, SHine SA

Discrimination based on any group of people can have far reaching consequences, and those who are discriminated on because of their sexuality are no different.

“In comparison to other groups facing discrimination (such as indigenous and ethnic groups), the government provides very little funding for support services and therefore our community continues to experience a range of health problems.” Sue Hackney, WayOut Victoria.

Groups promoting and supporting same sex attraction are limited in their attempts to council SSAI, as they receive little to no government funding, and many are not allowed to promote their services in some public places as it can be seen as promoting homosexuality, something which is still highly frowned upon.

The social stigma associated with same sex attraction has detrimental effects on SSAI. The constant reminders that homosexuality is a “sin” and is “wrong” can contribute immensely towards the phenomenon known as internalised homophobia. Even every day statements, such as the common phrase amongst youth “that’s so gay” can impact greatly on SSAI.

“I hated myself. Everything I knew went against what I was, what I am. I couldn’t accept myself and I thought I deserved pain and punishment. It led to some pretty stupid things on my part.” Emma, 17 years

This feeling of self loathing can lead to self destructive behaviour, particularly with self harming, self mutilation, and often times it lead to suicidal behaviour.

“The suicide rate is exceptionally higher in gay men, as well as substance abuse and self harm in those people. This is mainly contributed to society’s views however – these people don’t feel this way because they’re gay. It’s because of how it’s viewed by others.” Naomi Hutchings, SHine SA.

According to the 1998 Writing Themselves In report, 46% of SSAI have been abused because of their sexuality. Because of this abuse and discrimination, 13% of all same sex attracted youth felt unsafe whilst at school, something which impacts on their learning and also contributes to the increased rate of suicide and depression in SSAI. SSAI were also reported to be three to four times more likely to have injected illegal drugs into their system, using narcotics as another way to escape from the constant abuse and discrimination in the community.

A United States report from 1989 stated that “gay youth face a hostile and condemning environment, verbal and physical abuse, and rejection and isolation from families and peers” (Sedgwick, 1993, p. 69)

Discrimination is also rampant in society as there are very little groups dedicated to preventing discrimination based on sexuality in Australia. Adelaide alone only has four or five services operating for same sex attracted individuals, most of which are run by volunteers. This means that the services only operate at certain times, and no help can be reached before these times.

“Whilst there continues to be discrimination, isolation and exclusion faced by LGBT people in our community, people will continue to experience the negative mental & physical effects of this and support services need to be provided. Yes, as coordinator of a youth suicide prevention service for young GLBT people in rural areas; I am critically aware of the need for more services.” Sue Hackney, WayOut Victoria

Support services need to be increased, and government funding needs to be supplied to truly help prevent or reduce these high rates of SSAI depression, suicide, substance abuse and self harm.

The only mildly positive effect that these types of discrimination have on SSAI is that it does give some individuals a greater understanding of the balance of power and how it is used to dominate minority groups. Also, discrimination may give some SSAI a greater incentive to fight back and respond to any and all discrimination, giving a great feeling of empowerment to those who have suffered from the discrimination. This feeling of empowerment, however, still does not justify discrimination based on sexuality, and does not prevent the detrimental feelings.

“Every time these people say something, I say something back. It feels good, to know that I can hold my own. But even then, people still don’t see just how much it hurts. They see me fighting back; they don’t see the pain that each word causes.” Emma, 17 years

No matter how much the amount of people identifying as same sex attracted increases, the discrimination that they face is seemingly consistent in causing a downwards spiral of negativity, and it will take a lot of work and education to change the way society thinks, and begin to prevent more damage being done to SSAI.

Sources

Survey of homosexual and heterosexual individuals.
International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association
Writing Themselves In Again: Six Years On; Australian Research Centre in Sex, Health & Society (ARCSHS) La Trobe University Melbourne, Lynne Hillier, Alina Turner, Anne Mitchell.
"Family First candidate sorry for gay parent remark." ABC Premium News Australia/New Zealand Reference Centre, EBSCOhost.

Latest articles