Should Guantanamo Bay Be Closed?

The Guantanamo Bay facility shouldn't be closed because America cannot bring threats to their own country. The Guantanamo Bay detainee camp is an American facility located in Cuba, which was created by Bush to hold detainees from the war in Afghanistan and later on Iraq. On January 22, 2009 president Barack Obama signed an order to suspend the activities on the Guantanamo Bay camp.

“The problem with closing a facility with such an international impact is that whatever public diplomacy advantage may be achieved by closing the facility would be bad because of the damage it would do to national security.” (D.May)

In summary by closing a facility that has such an impact on the world would make the national security less "powerful". Many of the detainees that are being held at the facility represent a threat to the world. If the detainee was closed where would they take all of these people? If they took them to America, they would still bring threat to their own country. President Obama cannot close the detainee anytime soon as the option of bringing them to the United States also is inexistent. “They would immediately have the same constitutional rights as any American citizen. For another, setting up a new facility for them would cost a lot, not to mention a waste of the investment made at Guantanamo.” (D.May).

Barack Obama should also considered that Guantanamo is superior to any other facility in the world.

As the Art. 35 section III from the 4th Geneva Convention in 1949 states the any allies that are taken prisoner in the territory of a party to the conflict may leave that country, they must be granted to do so. So this is another reason that these prisoners cannot be brought into American territories is that whenever they are brought into the country they immediately have the same rights as the others like a fair trial.

Ending with the Guantanamo Bay detainee facility would only bring prejudice and problems to the American Government. First they would have to make significant infrastructure for all the prisoners that come in, they would have to grant them their rights as followed by the American Constitution and most important, they would be putting the national security at risk. So the Guantanamo Bay should not be closed anytime soon.

Sources:

Geneva Convention Participants. "The Fourth Geneva Convention (Full Text)." Jewish Virtual Library - Homepage. 2001. Web. 29 Nov. 2010.

May, Clifford D. "Should Guantanamo Bay Be Closed?" Council on Foreign Relations. CFR.org, 21 Jan. 2010. Web. 29 Nov. 2010.

Wikipedia contributors. "Guantanamo Bay detention camp." Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, 29 Nov. 2010. Web. 29 Nov. 2010.

Latest articles