The Egyptian Revolution

The Egyptian pursuit of democracy has drawn worldwide attention to the ousting of President Hosni Mubarak, who has been in power for the past 30 years. After three weeks of heavy protesting, anti-government demonstrators from across the country have brought down the dictatorial president, blazing an inspiring sense of unity and determination. Surely a day which will be strongly remembered in Egypt’s political history, it is important to understand how these astounding events took shape, in order to look towards the future and see where this country is heading, after such sudden radical and dramatic changes.

Mr. Mubarak, with his National Democratic Party, has, despite what the party name suggests, repeatedly led a consistent immoral hold onto power, resulting from rigged elections and public oppression. However, the long term spread in poverty, rising food prices, unemployment, and public anger with government corruption, had been grossly building and not effectively being dealt with.

It was after the Tunisian president, Zine Al-Abidine Ben Ali, was forced to step down and flee the country, on 14th January, following weeks of anti-government protests to end his 23 year rule, when public unrest in Egypt exploded a week later. There gathered large formations of protests, chanting: ‘The people want the fall of the regime’, ‘Mubarak, go’, and ‘Illegitimate, illegitimate’.

Protesters came from all sectors of Egyptian society, most being of the younger demographic, which have not known any other leader, and who are frustrated with high unemployment levels. Whilst there lacked no single leader of the protests, all were unified in calling for Mr. Mubarak to step down, with even the two largest conflicting religions in Egypt, Christianity and Islam, joining arms against his rule. Following the high tensions caused by a Christmas Eve church bombing in the port city of Alexandria, it is a significant happening that these two religious tensions have been set aside. Across the country, there bared signs held by the crowd sporting the Muslim crescent linked with Christian cross, giving the message: ‘From Muslim and Christian brothers, leave Mubarak you coward’.

Countrywide protests grew strongly, and excessively, overcoming any resistance from security police, prompting the deployment of the army on the 28th January. However, any use of force was ruled out, with the army recognizing the legitimate right for peaceful protest; throughout the demonstrations, the military managed to appear to be above politics, becoming a unifying force for the nation and maintaining a strong pivotal position

It was then on 1st February, that the ‘march of a million’ took place in Cairo, with thousands showing up to rally against the government. Mr. Mubarak, at this point with growing pressure, states he would not stand another term, and will allow for a new president to take power in the September elections; however protest leaders call for the former president to step down by the 4th of February – the ‘Day of Departure’.

But as this day loomed, loyalists and Mubarak supporters clash with protesters in Tahrir Square. It is not until the 11th February, after 18 days of demonstrating, that vice-president Omar Suleiman announces that Mr. Mubarak will be stepping down with immediate effect, handing control over to the military – a day after the former president surprised protesters by stating he would not step down until September to oversee the transfer of power.

In a national televised speech, the vice-president stated: ‘In the name of God the merciful, the compassionate, citizens, during these very difficult circumstances Egypt is going through, President Hosni Mubarak has decided to step down from the office of president of the republic and has charged the high council of the armed forces to administer the affairs of the country.

‘May God help everybody.’

But with power currently residing in the head of Egypt's Higher Military Council, Mohamad Hussain Tantawi – a man who is focused on regime stability and maintaining the status quo – this is not the sort of likely character to oversee dramatic political and economic changes that Egypt will go on to experience. However, the army has dissolved parliament, and suspended the current constitution – a move welcomed by opposition to Mr. Mubarak. It was the current constitution that prevented any parties or groups from standing in elections.

Ayman Nour, who challenged Mr. Mubarak for the presidency in 2005, described the military leadership's steps as a ‘victory for the revolution’. However many are uneasy that the army will remain in power for the next six months, until the next general election is called.

It is remarkable how long Mr. Mubarak was able to cling to power for so long, against a persistent rushing tide of opposition. After huge celebrations that have taken place all over Egypt, now begins a brand new era – and as many world leaders have called for, a swift transition to civilian rule is most definitely required in order to maintain the momentum for a new democratic government to take hold.

In the 5,000 years of Egypt’s history, its civilians have never been able to choose their own government before - an astonishing day, highlighting the true power of the people. In a region of autocracy, Egypt was one of the most stable; with their leader now toppled, it will be very interesting to see how much of a rippling effect this will have across the rest of the Middle-East. But most importantly for Egypt, the key issue now is to make sure that one dictatorship, is not just exchanged for another.

Latest articles