The Universe: Do We Really Know What's Out There?

Eggs are full of cholesterol. We just naturally know they are, right? Eggs have always been bad for your cholesterol. Until recently. A study in January 2011 resulted in a Scientific breakthrough, eggs have NO cholesterol in them. For the past century we have believed that they are full of cholesterol, when all this time they are not bad for your cholesterol at all. Now, how has this got to do with anything? Well I ask,

How can we know about supermassive black holes billions of light years away if we can't even tell if an egg is bad for you or not?

Neil Armstrong stepped on the moon on the 20th July 1969. There we six more man landings between that year and 1972, and we haven't gone back since. That is the furthest we've gone from our home planet, yet we know about galaxies billions of miles away? I just find it very hard to believe. Our strongest telescope is the Hubble Telescope. This is a brilliant piece of technology and can take spectacular images. But that's all it is, images. We cannot actually make out what it is, what it's made of, how far away it is, just from an image. Maybe there's an atmosphere around our planet and moon, which just sends back distorted images? Maybe outside that atmosphere, there is nothing? Maybe the heat from the sun is coming from a different source?

I know all these questions are far-fetched, but they can't be more far-fetched then the ones the scientists ask. We do not even know what is in the centre of our own earth, or what is at the bottom of our deepest oceans. How can we know about red dwarfs or blackholes if we've never seen one?

I hate the way scientists act as if all this space information is accurate and true. They should put forward their theories as suggestions, not facts.

Latest articles