32 Dead in Dar es Salaam Explosions

At 9pm on Wednesday night, the first of many explosions was reported from the Gongola Mboto military base in the East African city of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Placed on the coast of the Indian Ocean, Dar es Salaam is normally an idyllic honey pot for tourists, but last night, the sky was filled with orange flares and deafening blasts could be heard from miles away.

Army Chief of Staff Gen Abdurhaman Shimbo reported 32 people dead, 5 being army officers while most of the others were citizens from the surrounding residential areas. During the explosions, 23 depots holding weapons and ammunition were leveled along with a secondary school and 2 residential houses. The cities international airport was also closed as a precaution. 145 people were also injured and are being treated in the nearby hospitals. Prime Minister Mizengo Pimba has addressed parliament with his concern that the death toll may still rise. President Jakaya Kitwete is due to inspect the damage.

A similar event took place in 2009 on Tuesday 29th April at 11am. This incident took place at the Mbagala army base killing 26 people and injuring over 500. This displaced over 1000 people.

At the moment, 4000 people have been evacuated from the area and are camping out in the national stadium. Hidan Ricco, head of the Tanzanian Red Cross reported that there are over 200 unaccompanied children at the stadium alone, some only a few months old. The British Foreign Office has cordoned off the 15 Kilometer area of the blast radius around the epicenter and is currently evacuating the remaining citizens and advising all to stay out of the area.

There has been no aid appeal yet as people are still being evacuated but one is likely to be declared in the following hours and days.

Latest articles